Transmission Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4stang6

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am needing to replace my transmission on our 2016 Chevy Tahoe, My main question is, After replacing, Do i need to have a special type of tool to reprogram, or recalibrate?? OR is it a simple swap like the older days.

Ibustbravo

Reaction score
She shop should reprogram the controller, they're located on the valve body of the trans on the 6L80. If it's an 8L90 the controller is external. The 6L80 trans controller is a T43 and the 8L90 is a T87..

For the 6L80, You can use HP tuners or GM GDS2 with a Service Programming System (SPS2), subscription. For the 8L90, your options are to unlock the TCU through Hp tuners; which means you have to send it in, or use the GM GDI2..

I use these tools --> HP tuners, GDS2 and an alldata.com subscription. That pretty much covers everything within the limits of my knowledge.

C

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am needing to replace my transmission on our 2016 Chevy Tahoe, My main question is, After replacing, Do i need to have a special type of tool to reprogram, or recalibrate?? OR is it a simple swap like the older days.
No reprogramming needed if whomever you purchase it from looks up your VIN and matches the TEHCM part number in the replacement trans to your current transmission's TEHCM. You just need to do a fast adapt relearn. Any bidirectional scan tool w/adapt reset functionality will work.