Transmission not shifting real great 2004 Yukon XL Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats because you never worked at a transmission shop and know the games they play and how they go about it. Not all of course but it happens often.

I know the games...and this wouldn't be a very reputable shop in my book. If they pulled this kind of stunt it might eventually backfire on them at some point. What about former employee feedback or whistleblowers? It isn't all that easy to make a quick buck. Those types of shops are fly by night and not reputable. I don't actually work in any type of shop but I have a family of machinists and mechanical engineers. Also you tend to see this stuff being from Michigan..so yeah

Last edited:

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the games...and this wouldn't be a very reputable shop in my book. If they pulled this kind of stunt it might eventually backfire on them at some point. What about former employee feedback or whistleblowers? It isn't all that easy to make a quick buck. Those types of shops are fly by night and not reputable. I don't actually work in any type of shop but I have a family of machinists and mechanical engineers. Also you tend to see this stuff being from Michigan..so yeah
Back in the early 90s it was common to have the tranny shops that you didnt want to goto because they were known by word of mouth concerning their practices. But not everybody knew which shop you didnt want to goto. Those people kept those shops in business for well over a decade +.

GeorgesBlazah

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My trans does the same thing, same truck not an XL though. I took it to a shop and he drove it, basically told me it could do that forever or just fail. I think he thinks I was being too picky. Either way, I bought a camper and have a few trips planned this year, when/if it goes, ill be sure to post.

BTW whats your trans temp just running around town? Mine runs around 150-170 once its warmed up.

OP
OP
M

Marinevet

Reaction score
In the summer time, mine runs right around 150-170 as well, the only time I have ever had mine even get close to 200 was lots of in town driving on a hot summer day with front and rear A/C blasting.

Thanks everyone for responding on this. If I decide to do the fluid and filter change myself, do you guys run regular fluid or synthetic? Any additives? I am not sure where to take anything around here, because I have always wrenched on my own stuff.

Jeremy

the blur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2003 Yukon Denali. The tranny slips between 1st & 2nd gear (intermittently) for well over 100,000 miles. It started doing it at 98,000 miles. Now the truck has over 200,000 miles on it. I always lift off the throttle when it happens, so the engine doesn't rev up. But it's still hanging on.

TahoYukon Forum

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does it have toe-haul button?
Does it seem like that tow-haul button is active? And maybe the cluster light is inop... Maybe? Always check the cheapest solution first, hope it doesn't cost u much bud.
I think that is how my 03 Tahoe acts, but not sure, I'll check after a bit. ;)

blklab01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an 04 (Denali). I was having slow shifts between 1 and 2 , kind of like it was slipping a little. This coincidently started a few days after a battery replacement. Since the trans is controlled electronically , I decided to duscobmy battery over night to start the reset process. The next day after the battery reconnect , the shift points were almost normal, but recovered completely after 100 miles,,,,, I would recommend this prior to any trans service.

OP
OP
M

Marinevet

Reaction score
My 2003 Yukon Denali. The tranny slips between 1st & 2nd gear (intermittently) for well over 100,000 miles. It started doing it at 98,000 miles. Now the truck has over 200,000 miles on it. I always lift off the throttle when it happens, so the engine doesn't rev up. But it's still hanging on.

That's what I do with mine too, I just try to baby it, but I feel like if I start trying to tow with it that's going to accelerate the problem quite a bit.

Does it have toe-haul button?
Does it seem like that tow-haul button is active? And maybe the cluster light is inop... Maybe? Always check the cheapest solution first, hope it doesn't cost u much bud.
I think that is how my 03 Tahoe acts, but not sure, I'll check after a bit. ;)

The towing light works on mine still. I haven't tried driving it around in tow mode, but I may try that first.

Did anyone have a recommendation for good fluid or additives for the fluid and filter change? Sorry for the late response, I was gone on vacation for awhile. You all have been very helpful.

Jeremy

OP
OP
M

Marinevet

Reaction score
Do any of you all have a recommendation for good fluid or additives for the fluid and filter change? I am finally getting around to trying that out, nothing else has seemed to help yet. Another thing I've noticed, oddly enough, is that when the cruise is set, the transmission downshifts and upshifts between 3rd and 4th gear just find, no lag in the shift or anything. I'm hoping the fluid change helps my issue go away. Thanks again for all the help.

Jeremy

sefiro

Reaction score
High rpm shift points are normal for this generation of transmissions. Factory service manual spec shows a range of 1000 rpms from 12% throttle to wide open. +/-250rpm. Tow mode settings will raise this rpm range a bit.

A true rebuild sign would be burnt tranny fluid or material in the pan. A pan drop would ultimately be needed to see if a large number of metal shavings are stuck to the magnet. When replacing fluid, use dextron 6. It's fully compatible, synthetic, and recommended by gm for this generation of transmissions. Plenty of posts on how to change and not to use an external pressure pump.

If fluid is clear and minimal material (there is always a little bit after a new build break in), then valve body tune up, shift kit may be in order. You mentioned the dealer did some rebuild but did but give specifics. You'll need to drop the valve and inspect to see if oem or changed to a kit.

Your symptoms suggest the accumulate pistons/springs may be at fault (worn or broken). Or shift valves are leaking showing the shift point. These are accessed when when the pan and valve body is dropped.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dzg9