Transmission Concern..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulHuntzy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
hi everyone, I recently purchased a 2001 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4 5.3l with 180k miles. I noticed when the engine temp is cold 1-2 shift is harsh, not neck cracking harsh but you can tell it's sort of like a soft hit. When the truck is warmed up and driven for a bit it shifts just fine. Should that be a concern?

Also there is no check engine light warning, just my ABS and e-brake lights are usually always on. (Haven't looked into that yet)

#1taho

5150TAHO
Reaction score
I had a similar problem back when I got mine. I never fixed it and I started to have a first gear slip once and a while. I ended up changing toe transmission but kept the old one. What I found out is I had a sticking valve in the valve body. I had it fixed and still have the transmission for a future project. There is damage to the friction material in the transmission now but will be ok for what I will be doing with it. I should get a few years out of it.

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First and foremost check the fluid level and color. And it never hurts to service the trans.

OP
OP
P

PaulHuntzy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had a similar problem back when I got mine. I never fixed it and I started to have a first gear slip once and a while. I ended up changing toe transmission but kept the old one. What I found out is I had a sticking valve in the valve body. I had it fixed and still have the transmission for a future project. There is damage to the friction material in the transmission now but will be ok for what I will be doing with it. I should get a few years out of it.

I have never experienced any slipping. And the shift isn't extremely hard, I know these transmission the shifts are supposed to be smooth. Just when it's cold you can feel a jult from 1st to 2nd only.

#1taho

5150TAHO
Reaction score
Probably in the valve body. For piece of mind have it inspected. And a fluid change is never bad.

OP
OP
P

PaulHuntzy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Probably in the valve body. For piece of mind have it inspected. And a fluid change is never bad.

I will defiantly be getting it checked out as soon as the weather clears. If it's in the valve body, is that a big deal? Will it get worse over time? I've already put just over 2k miles on her and it seems the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrRuiz