Transmission Clunk 295,000 mi.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While slowing down at a red light my 2000 Tahoe with the 4L60 Trans started to Clunk at about 5 mph. I was able to drive it home but whenever I would slow way down it made a very loud clunking sound from the Transmission. 1st gear sounds like a bearing has failed when it shifts into 2nd the sound goes away. Now after about 10-15 miles its so bad I cannot even coast in Neutral down the driveway without it Clunking and Binding. I drained the T-case fluid and it looks fine no shavings or anything like that. Let me know what you think has happened. The Trans is original with 295,000 mi.

OP
OP
JonnyTahoe

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amazing a 4l60 made it that far. I’d say it’s time for a rebuild. As of about 100,000 miles ago.
Not sure I want to Put a new/rebuilt trans in a oil leaking 19 yr. old truck with that kind of miles on a worn out driveline. Maybe if it was a rust free southern truck.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure I want to Put a new/rebuilt trans in a oil leaking 19 yr. old truck with that kind of miles on a worn out driveline. Maybe if it was a rust free southern truck.
Ok then I guess it’s time to retire it because it won’t be going far. Unless you know how to rebuild transmissions yourself.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could get a trans from a wrecking yard, only problem is there’s no way of knowing the shape it’s in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700

Latest posts