Tranny Slipping Downhill?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn’t have the tow/haul mode on at all. I was just driving the same hill I’ve been in in the past. It was weird cuz it jerked and dropped gears twice. Second time I wasn’t even on the hill.
It's on by default on your year, you have to disable it if you don't want to use it each key cycle or as mentioned above you might have the option to turn it off or on as desired

OP
OP
B

Bigell

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It may not need tow/haul mode on. Doesn’t in our 2013. If we are trying to slow down fast, but not slam on the brakes fast, it will sometimes downshift sto help slow the vehicle.

My 2016 F-150 does it as well.
Understood…Never knew that was a feature!

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Understood…Never knew that was a feature!
Yep! Didn’t have it in our 2007, 2008 or 2009. Like having it in our 2013. Came in handy yesterday and today as we drove through the mountains going from Iowa to Eastern North Carolina.

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've noticed when engine braking down a fairly steep hill the connection to the transmission seems to vary. Sort of like the lockup gets turned on and off. I think this is happening because of the controls not something worn out.
I have a 4L65E, at least I think I do.

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the problems known to these transmissions is using them as a braking mechanism wise in the scheme of longevity? Brake pads are pretty cheap in comparison.

Tom-M

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
In my 2020 Yukon SLT w/49K this afternoon, I was driving down a pretty steep hill at around 40MPH. I felt the truck jerk and it dropped gears and speed not once, but twice. I drove maybe another half mile or so but it didn’t happen again. Anyone ever experience this? I paid around 40Grand for this truck and if it’s having tranny issues already it’s going back to Huntington….
If you have the cruise control set, it will try to keep you at that speed plus a little going down hill. Try going down the same hill with the cruise control turned off any it probably will not do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AEHaas