Trailer hitch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

throwback2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looking for recommedations on a trailer hitch for 2001 Yukon 5.3? I will be towing no more than 2500 lbs. Curt,Draw Tite, Thule etc.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what ever falls in your price range, all work fine.

you also need a trailer plug, they sell a round 7 pin that should plug into your existing harness out back. then think about a trailer brake box. with any luck the 01 is pre wired for one.

OP
OP
T

throwback2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks. The last 3 vehicles I've had were already set up with hitches.The Yukon is pre-wired though.Probably go with a Curt.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@throwback2, don't forget to check your local UHaul for price and availability. If they have it in stock you could get away with no shipping. Prices tend to vary widely for essentially the same hitch, I'm sure you've noticed.

OP
OP
T

throwback2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@throwback2, don't forget to check your local UHaul for price and availability. If they have it in stock you could get away with no shipping. Prices tend to vary widely for essentially the same hitch, I'm sure you've noticed.
Didn't think of that and I have a friend in the business too. I'll talk to him Sunday and see what he says. Thanks

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
what ever falls in your price range, all work fine.

you also need a trailer plug, they sell a round 7 pin that should plug into your existing harness out back. then think about a trailer brake box. with any luck the 01 is pre wired for one.
I agree with everything but dont think you need a trailer brake box at all thats for electric trailer brakes.The weight he says he will be towing wont have electric brakes on the trailer-hence no need for it.

Last edited:

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any trailer rated for 2500 lb likely has brakes, (hes not loading up a little HF trailer with that much weight)

ive done a lot of towing. if you can have working trailer brakes, use em. makes it like nothings back there.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Since Cequent owns several brands like Reese and Draw-Tite (and Tekonsha controllers), I would expect any of those three hitch brands to have similar products, probably made in the same factory.

The 7-way round connector (with flat blades) is pretty universal these days, but you can get the tow vehicle side with the 4-way flat next to it for the most flexibility and no extra wiring. Or use an adapter. Depending on the wiring connector by your bumper, eTrailer and other vendors have PNP 7-ways.

+1 with @Scottydoggs on using the trailer brakes if they're on the trailer.

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
any trailer rated for 2500 lb likely has brakes, (hes not loading up a little HF trailer with that much weight)

ive done a lot of towing. if you can have working trailer brakes, use em. makes it like nothings back there.
Their are no brakes on my trailer and i love it.3000 lbs and up and most around 3000 have surge still no need for the electric trailer brake box-unless your towing over 3000 and your trailer has electric brakes.

may 10th water temp 49 2014 033.JPG 2nd boat was way over 3000 and only had surge no electric brakes only surge no box. IMG_1272.JPG

Last edited:

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Trailer brake requirements depend on State law. YMMV

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bl74

Latest posts