TPMS sensors for extra wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cobrastud

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have 24" kmc slides on my 09 ltz tahoe and I picked up some factory 17" wheels to throw on when the truck needs warranty work at the dealer. It just occurred to me that swapping the wheels out would require new sensors, is that true? If I install the wheels without sensors will it trip an engine light? If so, how expensive and where do I get tpms sensors.
fv8rgo.jpg

royskiies

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Coworker and myself have a Tahoe 07, if we switch rims is their a way to recalibrate the sensor so we won't have to swap out the sensors?

blkonblk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Coworker and myself have a Tahoe 07, if we switch rims is their a way to recalibrate the sensor so we won't have to swap out the sensors?

Yup I just put some new rims/tires that had the sensors in already. Turn the key to on mode, press lock and unlock on your key fob at the same time, you will hear the horn honk twice (calibration mode),, start with your left front tire, then front right, back right and then back left ( in that order),,start deflating the tire until you hear one chirp from the horn (took around 30 seconds for me) then move to the next tire,,the last tire (back left) will chirp twice,, then take the keys off and your tpms are programmed. Make sure you are next to a place/machine that has air and where you can inflate the tires (i did it at a gas station)because they will be low when you are done doing this. Have fun, I did it on my first try.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure you are next to a place/machine that has air and where you can inflate the tires (i did it at a gas station)because they will be low when you are done doing this. Have fun, I did it on my first try.

:lol:

But yes, make sure you're somewhere you can put air back in them

OP
OP
C

Cobrastud

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks guys, as always very helpful

---------- Post added at 06:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 PM ----------

If I show up at a chevy dealer with my back up wheels and tires on with no sensors, would my factory warranty still cover tire/suspension related repairs? The only reason I got them was to not void my warranty with 24"s , and also to have occasional snow tires but mainly to keep my warranty going. My extended warranty contract will cover wheel and tire repairs/suspension or steering only if you keep the overall diameter within 7% of factory size, 24's with 295/35/24' s bring it to 7.4%. I can only assume the dealer would be as strict if not more so.