TPMS Sensors acting wonky

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wjoutlaw

Reaction score
Getting a weird error saying the left rear tire pressure is wildly fluctuating from 1 PSI up to 40PSI. It goes off at random and will go away for a few days but pop back up. I got one error message saying the TPMS System needed maintenance only one time. It flashed up quick then went away and hasn't come back since. Do I need to get new sensors all around?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Were you parked next to @Bonedogg1 ???

Do you have access to an advanced scan tool like the Tech2? It can read BCM codes such as these and tell you what's going on before you throw money at it. It probably is the sensors but could be other things.

Glisella

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting a weird error saying the left rear tire pressure is wildly fluctuating from 1 PSI up to 40PSI. It goes off at random and will go away for a few days but pop back up. I got one error message saying the TPMS System needed maintenance only one time. It flashed up quick then went away and hasn't come back since. Do I need to get new sensors all around?

Same thing happened to me last week. On I95 driving fine and all of a sudden message comes on saying front left psi is 14. No difference in driving but oull off at next rest stop, get out and tire looks fine, used manual tire gauge and it was 31. Turn car off and back on and all is fine. Later on during drive same thing happened, but kept driving and it slowly ticked back up to plus 30's, then down again...been on and off since. Drove 200 miles Sunday and all was fine. No idea, it is a 6 month old sensor, had them all replaced around December.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me last week. On I95 driving fine and all of a sudden message comes on saying front left psi is 14. No difference in driving but oull off at next rest stop, get out and tire looks fine, used manual tire gauge and it was 31. Turn car off and back on and all is fine. Later on during drive same thing happened, but kept driving and it slowly ticked back up to plus 30's, then down again...been on and off since. Drove 200 miles Sunday and all was fine. No idea, it is a 6 month old sensor, had them all replaced around December.

Those actions mirror the bad ones that we replaced recently. They were about seven years old, I reckon the winters shortened the batteries lives.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He’s right. The sensors act goofy until they go dead. Somehow mine lasted 10 years. Same for my other car. Riding at 75 all is well then says left front tire flat. Of course I pull over nothing flat. Back on road errors gone and so on until I replace it. Just don’t go cheap on these unless you’d like wonky back in 6 months. Some you can change yourself. Depends where the stem is on your wheel. Cost me $30 to install 2 but get all 4 the others are coming.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He’s right. The sensors act goofy until they go dead. Somehow mine lasted 10 years. Same for my other car. Riding at 75 all is well then says left front tire flat. Of course I pull over nothing flat. Back on road errors gone and so on until I replace it. Just don’t go cheap on these unless you’d like wonky back in 6 months. Some you can change yourself. Depends where the stem is on your wheel. Cost me $30 to install 2 but get all 4 the others are coming.

Don't do what I did and replace them one at a time. That was dumb on my part and cost a lot extra. I did buy brand new takeoffs from fleet vehicles from a vendor selling them on ebay. metro24wholesale-2009

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pamelapanian

Latest posts