Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shorrsteve

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2014 Yukon with air shocks, and am towing about 6000lbs. I started with a 15,000lb weight distribution hitch. This hitch came with brackets bars for anti sway. Still lots of sway!
I was high on the ball but both SUV and camper are now level. New lower shank. I added a curt anti sway bar and have locked the shank to the car receiver. I still get lots of sway. Is anyone else towing this much weight and what is your experiences?

Attachments

• 20240307_152557.jpg
    20240307_152557.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 5
  • 20221019_140330.jpg
    20221019_140330.jpg
    485.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240401_113911.jpg
    20240401_113911.jpg
    451.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2014 Yukon with air shocks, and am towing about 6000lbs. I started with a 15,000lb weight distribution hitch. This hitch came with brackets bars for anti sway. Still lots of sway!
I was high on the ball but both SUV and camper are now level. New lower shank. I added a curt anti sway bar and have locked the shank to the car receiver. I still get lots of sway. Is anyone else towing this much weight and what is your experiences?
Hi Steve, I tow a 7500 lb camper with a 2012 Yukon XL Denali. I use a Camco Recurve R3 hitch with friction-based sway control. I get some mild-moderate sway in high winds and when being passed by a truck on the highway, but it's quite manageable and has never had me white-knuckling it.

I find that how much sway people are comfortable with is a subjective thing based on experience and comfort level. I've been towing everything from industrial equipment to campers all over the western and eastern US for 30 years, so nothing much fazes me any more.

That said, the shorter the wheelbase, the more pronounced the sway will be. The shorter wheelbase of the Tahoe/standard-length Yukon will have a negative effect on sway. My suggestions would be: 1/ Make sure you're running XL rated tires on your rig and running max pressure in them. I'm running Continental Terrain Contacts in the XL version. 2/ Make sure your tongue weight is 15% of the trailer weight or more. 3/ Consider a different hitch. 4/ Make sure your Yukon's sway bars and bushings are in good condition.

One more thing: does your Yukon have the factory trailer brake controller? If so, it will use the trailer brakes to help stop sway when it happens, if it's moderate to heavy. You'll know if it's engaging because you'll hear it and feel it. REALLY nice safety feature.

1714423874557.png

Last edited:

15burban

Reaction score
Is the 3rd picture with the "new lower shank"? If it is the camper looks a little nose high. It could just be the angle of the picture, but if it is nose high that will also induce sway.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Is it time for Hellwigs? Beefing up the sway bars would increase the comfort in the vehicle and ride quality when towing.

Good looking truck & trailer.

OP
OP
S

Shorrsteve

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi Steve, I tow a 7500 lb camper with a 2012 Yukon XL Denali. I use a Camco Recurve R3 hitch with friction-based sway control. I get some mild-moderate sway in high winds and when being passed by a truck on the highway, but it's quite manageable and has never had me white-knuckling it.

I find that how much sway people are comfortable with is a subjective thing based on experience and comfort level. I've been towing everything from industrial equipment to campers all over the western and eastern US for 30 years, so nothing much fazes me any more.

That said, the shorter the wheelbase, the more pronounced the sway will be. The shorter wheelbase of the Tahoe/standard-length Yukon will have a negative effect on sway. My suggestions would be: 1/ Make sure you're running XL rated tires on your rig and running max pressure in them. I'm running Continental Terrain Contacts in the XL version. 2/ Make sure your tongue weight is 15% of the trailer weight or more. 3/ Consider a different hitch. 4/ Make sure your Yukon's sway bars and bushings are in good condition.

One more thing: does your Yukon have the factory trailer brake controller? If so, it will use the trailer brakes to help stop sway when it happens, if it's moderate to heavy. You'll know if it's engaging because you'll hear it and feel it. REALLY nice safety feature.

View attachment 427332
You have a nice setup there. You spoke about tires. I put on Cooper Discoverer they are 85lbs of pressure and are over 3000lbs per tire.
Looks like you have a generator off your back bumper. I have my generator up front along with a full truck tool box that stores my batteries and in front of this are the 2 propane tanks. Our 43 gallon water tank is up front and we usually drive with it full. She has to have her soft water.

OP
OP
S

Shorrsteve

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is the 3rd picture with the "new lower shank"? If it is the camper looks a little nose high. It could just be the angle of the picture, but if it is nose high that will also induce sway.
We are almost perfect level after I installed the new shank. This photo is on a small hill lifting the back of the Yukon up.

OP
OP
S

Shorrsteve

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is it time for Hellwigs? Beefing up the sway bars would increase the comfort in the vehicle and ride quality when towing.

Good looking truck & trailer.
I think you are right. Great idea. We are getting ready for a 5000 mile trip. Leaving May 12th. I have 12 days to get this done. Wonder if Rock Auto has beefed up sway bars.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What you are referring to as "sway bars" are not.. They are weight distribution
bars. If you are using 15K WDH (weight dist hitch) for a 6K trailer, you
prob will never get it in the sweet spot. You could sell that set and go to
a 7500 or 10,000 lb system and be way better off... Then you can decide
if you want to get a system that has the "sway" component built into it or
add it separately. Up to you on that.
I really like my set up as it has the sway and WD hitch all in one. But it was
pretty pricey.. I did the 10K system and it was like $700 a few years ago.
Equal-I-Zer is the name brand. American built.. Good stuff.
You order it by the tongue weight of your trailer. I expect the tonque weight
of your rig to around 600-800 lbs.
https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution-Hitch/Equal-i-zer/EQ90-00-1000.html
this is a link to the 1000/10,000 System. You can prob find one from a diff mfr
in the 800/8,000 for a bit cheaper. But I know this works.
My camper is 9500 lbs w 900 tongue weight going down the road.
I have made mods to accomodate this at it's way over the rating on my Yuk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DBPA2024

Latest posts