Towing with a 5.3 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EvergreenZ71

Reaction score
As others have pointed out, the engine can do it but the suspension, transmission, and brakes may be the more critical elements.

I towed a 27’ toy hauler travel trailer with my 02 Tahoe. Yes, it’s an older 5.3L but the engine did the job, though there were other costs: bent the rear axel and transmission eventually failed. Stopping distance was also very dependent on perfect adjustment and a weight distribution hitch was mandatory.

One winter it was in the shop for some body work so I bought a beat up, 1992 Suburban 2500 to tow the trailer to get it winterized … OMG, it was so much better the Tahoe only towed once afterwards because the suburban got a transmission line leak 20 miles from home.

Get a 3/4 ton, you won’t regret it at all.

tagexpcom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We built a 5,300lb, 7 x 14 cargo trailer -> camper. At first we towed (using weight distribution hitch) with our 2004 Cadillac SRX with 325hp NorthStar V8. Engine wise it was just fine. The problem: Overheating going up 5-6% mountain grades longer than mile or 2 at anything >60F ambient.

So we recently upgraded to a used 2021 Yukon 6.2L / 10-speed and the seller let us test tow up a nearby mountain pass. The rig didn't overheat and the transmission topped out at 199F going up a 10mile, 5% grade at 107F ambient! And this rig does not have max tow - just a regular Yukon Denali to which we added an after-market Curt brake controller.

From my research, the Tahoe, Yukon, and Escalade are the same (or very similar) base frame/transmission. And 5.3L (closer to our SRX 325hp) vs 6.2L should not be a deal breaker and has the HP to tow - so I would expect a Tahoe to perform similarly as our experience.

Last edited:

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My point was more-so that you won't feel it behind you as much as you would with the Tahoe going up and over grades.
Yeah, you could get up and go but that soft suspension isn't great for towing. It's barely more than the V6. A regular 1500 with the Hemi can tow up to 12K lbs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar