Towing with a 2018 Denali 10 Speed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JTRATX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wonder how much more it searches for gears than my 8 speed?

07 Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wanting folks impressions as well. Planning on picking up an ‘18 Denali next week and purposefully chose the 10-speed over the 8-speed. Hoping for good reports on the towing experience. Also, any mods you would recommend for towing? I’m looking at Hotchkis sway bars just for now.

AZRiverRunner

Reaction score
You must’ve died.

This has been the infamous thread of people not reporting back lol so stupid.

Plans change. I had a warranty service planned in Lake Havasu for the boat, that didn't happen. I did however end up towing an empty 24ft flatbed car hauler (2,200 lbs) from Needles to Ontario. Not enough weight to notice a loss in acceleration, although I had the trans in tow/haul mode, which kept it in 8-9th gear at speeds below 60-65. MPG dropped to 17mpg, averaged 75mph most of the 220 miles. (I had fueled up with 91 Octane Arizona blend, up to 10% Ethanol. Same trip, same load with my 2015 Tahoe was 15mpg on 87 Octane,.

Prior to that, I drove from LA to Vegas (no trailer, no passengers), 23mpg about 1/2 the trip at 65-70mph, about half 75-90mph with the flow of traffic. If you know the drive, it has several long, gradual grades. 91 Octane California purchased gasoline, up to 15% Ethanol.

From Vegas to Needles (no trailer, no passengers), about 110 miles, one noticeable grade near Searchlight Nevada, averaged 60-65mph due to construction zone speed limits, 26.5mpg. California purchased gasoline, up to 15% Ethanol.

Overall about 2mpg highway no towing to light towing better than my 2015 tahoe. Also a 4x4, the 2015 had the tow package with 3.42:1 gears. However the 2015 was always fed 87 octane.

Last edited:

lweisenb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is the ride better? I have a '15 with tow package and honestly have not been happy with the ride compared to the non-tow package denali my neighbor has or even the SLE's I usually get as loaners (have one now as a matter of fact).

sickk23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the ride better? I have a '15 with tow package and honestly have not been happy with the ride compared to the non-tow package denali my neighbor has or even the SLE's I usually get as loaners (have one now as a matter of fact).
There’s no such thing as a “non tow package Denali”.