Torsion Bars/ What are they?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will vary a bit depending on the tire size that came on the truck, fender flares and so on. My truck sat at least an inch taller than other trucks when it was stock

blackhoe02

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
can this be done to lower the truck too? my buddy told me i could lower it with the torsion bar and then put drop blocks on the back?

EpicRasta

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
can this be done to lower the truck too? my buddy told me i could lower it with the torsion bar and then put drop blocks on the back?

I have the same question. My truck sits pretty high and i'd like to lower the center of gravity a little. I have a '94 4x4...any thoughts??

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To lower the back you need new springs or new shackles...blocks with out an axle flip will lift it up. as for lowering the front. New keys and uncrank the bolts and that should do it. Poor 4x4 though.

992door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For lowering it you can get i think the keys out NBS 3/4 which are purple keys and swap them for yours and I believe that should lower it

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
Bowtie - your comment:

"One thing not to overlook when cranking with new keys or stock....the CV angles when they get too steep they break in 4x4. IFS is very weak on the 1/2 ton trucks so be careful. "

Is there a way to strengthen? Is it weak for driving on the street, mild offroading or only weak for serious offroaders?

I'm trying to gauge just how careful I have to be when I lift my truck.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you don't crank them way up, highway and mild offroad shouldn't hurt them. if you are taking it out to beat the hell out of it, you run the risk of breaking it either way.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^yeah, the CJ joints bind and break when they are at extreme angles. I want to say 35* or so

bradmps

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how do you crank the keys?
sorry i am extremely new and want to level out the front end of my tahoe

where are they located?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pamelapanian