Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LittlePearl13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Central Coast (SLO county), California.
Alright guys, I need a little first hand advice. Originally, I wanted to lift my Tahoe, but looking at the new wheels, new tires, the lift kit, and the cost to re-gear... it's just going to be too much for me now. I'm headed to college next year, and it's time to start saving my pennies. Never the less, I still need to get my set-up a little more off road ready. I live near Pismo, which is the only state beach you can legal drive on in California... which is pretty cool. Or at least, it would be, if my pizza-cutter 245/75/r16 would stop getting stuck in the loose sand. I know the stock rim is 16x7 or 16x8, so what is the widest tire to fit these rims? I'm thinking I can still crank the tb for a little more clearance, but I don't think I'd go any taller than like 31" or 32". But I'm more concerned about getting something thicker, without swapping out the wheels for something wider.

WiCK3D_SiX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
265/75/R16 is as wide as you can go on the stock wheels. I just ordered tires, and was disappointed I couldn't get my 285's. Granted the tire I got was 32.2" vs the 33.2"I wanted, so not a major difference.

WiCK3D_SiX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I contacted the company they said anything over 265 is meant for 7.5" and would void their warranty as it could lead to un-even tire wear, tire dismount when aired down etc.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
air pressure is what it comes down too. google the chalk test, really easy to do.

bigfeet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run 285/75/16. No uneven wear. Drives perfect. You can also go 305/70/16 as stated above. Who needs a warranty anyway. These are our trucks last time I checked, I don't need a tire shop to tell me what tires to run, lol.

---------- Post added at 12:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 AM ----------

The company that sold you the Treadrights must have had those 265s laying around for a while, so they hit you with the old "buy these, that's the ticket" routine.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tires wear, it happens. tire pressure, rotation and general common sense will keep them around for a while

the big blue bus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have 315s on my stock wheels out back. but they would be a lot taller than a 31 you want. 285s are over 32 my buddy has 285s on his dakota stock wheels and they are about 32.5 inches tall

WalterMitty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is correct that the application charts will tell you that 265 is as big as you can go. I have run 285's on two different stock trucks without significant problems.

I do think the 285's make the trucks feel sloppier when handling, but it's something I can compensate for. As I have mentioned in other threads, you do need to make sure your front bump stops are in good condition to keep your tires from interfering with the wheel well opening.

WiCK3D_SiX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
[/COLOR]The company that sold you the Treadrights must have had those 265s laying around for a while, so they hit you with the old "buy these, that's the ticket" routine.[/QUOTE]

I called my order in after emailing back and forth and had the tires made on the carcass I wanted. I highly doubt they had the exact ones I wanted lying around. As far as I know they make the tires on the spot which is why they take a few days before shipping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bl74

Latest posts