2002 Yukon XL 2WD 5.3L SLE, stock tires were roughly 30.49"...current tires are roughly 32.8" Load Range E.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YukonMike66

Reaction score
So my Yukon has tires that are nearly 33" and they are load range E....stocks were about 30.5" ...if i go back to 30.49" tires or even 31's, will i notice a difference in the way the vehicle feels in regards to power. The 285/70/17 BFG K02 Load Range E's are really heavy and sit right at 57.9 lbs each.....stocks were 36.56 lbs each according to what i found online.
The question is...will dropping 2" to 2.5" of tire and over 20 lbs per wheel make a measurable difference in feel...or should i just leave it as it is because the difference isnt enough to notice? Hope that all makes sense.

Attachments

• yukon xl 4.22C (1 of 1).JPG
    yukon xl 4.22C (1 of 1).JPG
    314.7 KB · Views: 4

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
id think the truck would roll way easier. my brothers got gm 20's from a newer truck on his tahoe and im running the stock wheels and tire size. and my truck feel like it gets moving way faster. rotational mass is a real thing. why drag cars run them skinnys up front. they weigh next to nothing.

dps01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would think the butt accelerometer would notice from a dead stop.

Not sure you would notice as much once moving…

Depends on your intended use or what look you prefer.

OP
OP
YukonMike66

YukonMike66

Reaction score
I would think the butt accelerometer would notice from a dead stop.

Not sure you would notice as much once moving…

Depends on your intended use or what look you prefer.
This is just our nice low mileage, rust free Yukon...we just drive it around...no attempted off-roading or anything like that...its a 2WD...so we just need it to get up and get going a bit quicker. Sounds like dropping 80 lbs off the tires and 2-2.5" off the height might help out quite a bit.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read my sig. Went from 32" tires to 29.57" tires - or,
from 0.4" taller than civilian OE, to about the same tire height as a PPV.

Unfortunately, I did NOT buy sticker, better-hustling 'performance' tires.
So now I've a smaller contact patch that is EASIER to fruitlessly spin,
so when the light turns green, I go nowhere fast.

Choose your tires carefully, is all I'm saying.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has the difference is tire diameter be adjusted in your tune? If not, then your speedometer/odometer will be off slightly.

Use a online calculator to determine the difference percentage.

Generally, going to a smaller tire diameter will yield better acceleration because you are effectively changing the overall drive ratio (smaller tire = numerically higher overall drive ratio.)

OP
OP
YukonMike66

YukonMike66

Reaction score
Has the difference is tire diameter be adjusted in your tune? If not, then your speedometer/odometer will be off slightly.

Use a online calculator to determine the difference percentage.

Generally, going to a smaller tire diameter will yield better acceleration because you are effectively changing the overall drive ratio (smaller tire = numerically higher overall drive ratio.)
Right now i am 2-3 taller than stock, i am just wanting to drop back to something slightly taller than stock, but less than the 33's i have now. Currently my speedo if off by 5mph because of the taller tires. No adjustments have been made to my speedo and the Yukon does not currently have a "tune".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abruck