Time to replace battery?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the date on my battery the other day. It's a Duracell AGM 34/78 from Sam's club bought in 2013. Just wondering if replacing an AGM at 5 years is prudent? I have read that AGM's last twice as long (10 years?) than a normal flooded lead acid battery. Just looking for opinions on what to do...or maybe not to do. Thanks.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
depends on the weather, in California that battery would probably be on borrowed time already the heat kills them and they barely make it out of the warranty period before showing signs of getting weak.

OP
OP
Matahoe

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. So geographically speaking... you are on the west side of the Sierra Nevada mtns? Correct? Isn't that a relatively stable/ temperate climate in comparison to the wide range of winter and summer temps seen in the Midwest? Perhaps I am missing something. I would think people over here would be the ones needing a replacement much sooner than y'all !

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He’s not on the coast which has a temperate climate. He’s in a Valley that gets and stays hot Have the battery load tested if you’re not sure about it

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the temperature here in the winter typically is mid to high 30's just above freezing the summers are often 90-100+ with many over 100 days
the HEAT is what kills

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the date on my battery the other day. It's a Duracell AGM 34/78 from Sam's club bought in 2013. Just wondering if replacing an AGM at 5 years is prudent? I have read that AGM's last twice as long (10 years?) than a normal flooded lead acid battery. Just looking for opinions on what to do...or maybe not to do. Thanks.

The longest battery life we've ever seen was the OE battery that came in our 2006 Pontiac. The battery lasted 5 years. Back then the batteries were advertised by years, how long they would last and that one was a 7 year battery. Prior to that and for many batteries since, we only get about 2 years out of them.

The battery in my truck now is an ACDelco Silver, the lowest rated model. It's advertised with a 30 month free replacement warranty (for the original owner). This battery is almost three years old now and was installed 30 months ago. It has about 32K miles and 1200 hours on it. The truck fires up fine every time but there's often not enough juice to power my Tech-2 scan tool with the engine off. The Tech-2 says the battery is fine though.

Out of curiosity, I looked up the latest Duracell batteries and the AGM model for your truck and mine. The current AGMs are warranted for 36 months but after 10 minutes of searching, with interruptions, I cannot find out what that means. It's taken thirty plus minutes to get this far and the interruptions have ruined my thinking! Someone take over for me! What would you do Wes? Pete? Chris? Mark?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if it starts the truck fine and runs the radio with the truck off for more than 10-15 minutes without saying low battery then you are probably good, I just have never had a battery last that long myself, you may find that battery's typically like to take a dump in the spring or when winter set's in (change in the weather) I see it happen all the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denali21