Time for BJs/Tierods, new arms or just balljoints?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slammedchevy01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking to replace upper/ lower balljoints and inner/outer tierods. Currently at 127k and tierods are shot, may as well do BJ as well. Currently lowered 3/5 with keys/spindles.

Is it easier/smarter to do moog arms with new BJ? Does Moog make bolt in balljoints for these? Also heard they make 2 different arms serviceable/non serviceable. If I do BJ do I need to relieve tension off keys or just if we do whole arms?

My Silverado's were bolt in tops I believe as i bought moog parts, thought I'd check!

Looking at:

Moog K6540 front upper $40
6541 lower balljoints $43

Moog ES3488 inner tierod $32
Moog ES3493T outter TieRod $32

Or lower arms $180/$200 each w bushing/moog BJs.

BJs currently have no play but tierods shot so trying to do preventative maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You gonna do bushings too? Once you piece together the bushings and ball joints its likely around the same price as a fully assembled arm. Less work to install that way.

OP
OP
S

Slammedchevy01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just did the tierods as BJs have no play

juggernaut

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would take a look at Rock Auto for there front end kit that has all Moog. it's upper and lower control arms with ball joints and bushings. as well as inner and outer tie rods.

04Huck

"I'd rather be lucky than good"
Reaction score
Loaded arms, loaded arms, loaded arms. Did ball joints only on my buddy's truck a couple years back at the same time as doing his 4/6 drop (on a crew cab) and the ball joints wouldn't budge. Added like 2.5-3 hours just for those

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Merc1973

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would take a look at Rock Auto for there front end kit that has all Moog. it's upper and lower control arms with ball joints and bushings. as well as inner and outer tie rods.

Yes, best deal around for quality parts. Better to get loaded control arms than just do ball joints.

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yall act like yall are scared of work or dont know what you're doing. Buying new arms is a waste of money.

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
c clamp is all ive ever used and yes i own a press too. Never needed it for front end work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RanchoTexas