Throttle Body Upgrade ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VanillaGoorilla

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is there such a thing as a Throttle Body upgrade ? Benefits/Drawbacks ? I'm only considering because I may have to replace mine...replaced sensor, gasket, cleaned it fought with the idle relearn(started off with the 2500-3000k idle,seems to be fine now) & now its still throwing the same code...

Mine is a 5.3 if that matters.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Is there such a thing as a Throttle Body upgrade ? Benefits/Drawbacks ? I'm only considering because I may have to replace mine...replaced sensor, gasket, cleaned it fought with the idle relearn(started off with the 2500-3000k idle,seems to be fine now) & now its still throwing the same code...

Mine is a 5.3 if that matters.
Yea the ls6 throttle body is bigger then our 5.3 one! personally I ported the hell out of my stock throttle body and intake inlet but that was going to be my next upgrade when the time comes

OP
OP
VanillaGoorilla

VanillaGoorilla

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yea the ls6 throttle body is bigger then our 5.3 one! personally I ported the hell out of my stock throttle body and intake inlet but that was going to be my next upgrade when the time comes
any reprogramming needed ? I saw some options on Texas speed... but I dunno. This really isn't ever going to be a fast vehicle, I do want the most I can getout of it though.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
any reprogramming needed ? I saw some options on Texas speed... but I dunno. This really isn't ever going to be a fast vehicle, I do want the most I can getout of it though.
Probably cheapest bet would be a second hand TB off a vette off eBay or marketplace.
Fast TB are overpriced for the gains
Fella they call chuey 454 ports these stock TB and intakes for a decent price if you don’t want to do it yourself
Shouldn’t need any reprogramming atleast I diddnt have to with either of my 07s when I ported them out

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there such a thing as a Throttle Body upgrade ? Benefits / Drawbacks ?
I'm only considering because I may have to replace mine.
replaced sensor, gasket, cleaned it, fought with the idle relearn (started off with the 2500-3000k idle, seems to be fine now)
now its still throwing the same code.

Mine is a 5.3L if that matters.
There is such a thing as a throttle body upgrade.
However, if you have not already done several other power releasing mods - longtube headers and catback exhaust, heads and cam and valvetrain, better intake manifold (you already have a pretty good one), larger fuel injectors - you'll find that a larger mouth and/or nostrils alone is not in and of itself going to release that much power, because it needs bigger better lungs and stronger legs first.

If the throttle body is NOT the engine's chokepoint, upgrading it won't release any power.
Also, if you don't yet need to upgrade the injectors AND the intake manifold, you don't NEED a better throttle body.
This really isn't ever going to be a fast vehicle, I do want the most I can get out of it though.
If you haven't had your vehicle tuned yet, you should.
Besides tuning, the best bang for your buck in terms of dramatic effect would be
4.10 if you have a 4L60E
3.73 if you have a 6L80E
And yes, both require tuning.

This idle relearn procedure only applies to throttle-by-signal, yeah?
Every time I cold start my '02 Tahoe L59, the idle briefly exceeds 2000RpM before settling for about 1000RpM, and it takes about 3-4min before the idle gets down to 600RpM.

THarber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're not going to gain anything by upsizing the TB. Your engine is tuned and designed to only take so much fuel and so much air. You will open up a whole new set of problems by doing so. Larger TB are great for performance cars or trucks running in the upper RPM range and thats about it.

What code is it throwing? Lets start there.

TH

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can open the top end up a little bit fairly easily with a 6.2l intake and a ls7 throttle body
it's plug-n-play,
better yet if you get them ported. probably run you $8-900, more like $450-500 if you port the intake yourself
you will want a tune with it, won't get you much but anything helps
not sure if the ls7 throttle body fits the 5.3l intake, it does on the 6.2l

oh and cai for the ls7 tb, I believe the stock plastic intake housing will not fit without modification

Last edited:
Reaction score
you can open the top end up a little bit fairly easily with a 6.2l intake and a ls7 throttle body
it's plug-n-play,
better yet if you get them ported. probably run you $8-900, more like $450-500 if you port the intake yourself
you will want a tune with it, won't get you much but anything helps
not sure if the ls7 throttle body fits the 5.3l intake, it does on the 6.2l

oh and cai for the ls7 tb, I believe the stock plastic intake housing will not fit without modification
Do you know the sizes of the different throttle bodies (like 80mm, 90mm, etc)?

OP
OP
VanillaGoorilla

VanillaGoorilla

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There is such a thing as a throttle body upgrade.
However, if you have not already done several other power releasing mods - longtube headers and catback exhaust, heads and cam and valvetrain, better intake manifold (you already have a pretty good one), larger fuel injectors - you'll find that a larger mouth and/or nostrils alone is not in and of itself going to release that much power, because it needs bigger better lungs and stronger legs first.

If the throttle body is NOT the engine's chokepoint, upgrading it won't release any power.
Also, if you don't yet need to upgrade the injectors AND the intake manifold, you don't NEED a better throttle body.If you haven't had your vehicle tuned yet, you should.
Besides tuning, the best bang for your buck in terms of dramatic effect would be
4.10 if you have a 4L60E
3.73 if you have a 6L80E
And yes, both require tuning.

This idle relearn procedure only applies to throttle-by-signal, yeah?
Every time I cold start my '02 Tahoe L59, the idle briefly exceeds 2000RpM before settling for about 1000RpM, and it takes about 3-4min before the idle gets down to 600RpM.
The only reason for looking into a "performance" throttle body is the need to replace the stock one now. So, I was just gonna upgrade that now while changing it out. Instead of going with OEM now and possibly upgrading later. I'll honestly probably only go as far as Intake, ehxaust and a tune of some sort... so if I am understanding, its not worth it to go bigger o the throttle body... correct ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz