Three random shut offs while slowing to a red light.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No everything stays on just like its running. Radio good and a/c fans still run. And given the battery light not coming on, it doesn't even think the alternator stopped. Its crazy. And just my luck, I put all this money in and now some gremlin problem.

Like on a normal stall, you would expect dash lights, yeah? Like battery at minimum. Also every time, has been slowing down for a stop, or as of today, a turn.
Well I would start with those cables for beginners

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Do the remedial stuff known to really get these trucks down. Just chalk it up to missed maintenance.

* Replace carbon canister.
* Replace battery +\- cables.

You’ll have a clean slate after that for diagnostics and know right away if you had a bad ground or wire and\or a leaky carbon canister.

There’s also a slight possibility that the previous owner replaced the fuel pump with a cheap overseas specials and it’s doing what those POS time bomb like things to … act weird and send you on a wild goose chase but not fail 100%.

OP
OP
olliec420

olliec420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the remedial stuff known to really get these trucks down. Just chalk it up to missed maintenance.

* Replace carbon canister.
* Replace battery +\- cables.

You’ll have a clean slate after that for diagnostics and know right away if you had a bad ground or wire and\or a leaky carbon canister.

There’s also a slight possibility that the previous owner replaced the fuel pump with a cheap overseas specials and it’s doing what those POS time bomb like things to … act weird and send you on a wild goose chase but not fail 100%.
The carbon canister for the evap? Could that be related somehow? I did that one already though.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Yup, that one at the rear, under the truck by the fuel tank. It loves to get cranky and let loose all the carbon pellets into the fuel system. With that out of the way, knowing it wasn’t leaking pellets, you can diagnose off a better baseline now.

The carbon canister for the evap? Could that be related somehow? I did that one already though.

OP
OP
olliec420

olliec420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, that one at the rear, under the truck by the fuel tank. It loves to get cranky and let loose all the carbon pellets into the fuel system. With that out of the way, knowing it wasn’t leaking pellets, you can diagnose off a better baseline now.
Gotcha, yeah I did that in the spring. It let loose and the lines clogged but I got it though.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Ugh, if it was letting pellets loose keep in the back of your mind that the pellets may have migrated into the tank and made their way into the fuel pump causing random obstructions to fuel delivery.

The only to cure it, as well as diagnose it is to drop the tank, pull the f/p, swab the tanks interior and blow out the line in the system. Of course if your in there it only makes sense to replace the OEM f/p (with another OEM) as they’re good for about 10yr/100k mi.

OP
OP
olliec420

olliec420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ugh, if it was letting pellets loose keep in the back of your mind that the pellets may have migrated into the tank and made their way into the fuel pump causing random obstructions to fuel delivery.

The only to cure it, as well as diagnose it is to drop the tank, pull the f/p, swab the tanks interior and blow out the line in the system. Of course if your in there it only makes sense to replace the OEM f/p (with another OEM) as they’re good for about 10yr/100k mi.
Hmm i thought about that. But the fuel pump picks up from the middle all the way around, no? I can't image a few pellets would stop the flow

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gradymossx4