thoughts on the mobil 1 annual oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally i would never go that long between changes even with a good oil like mobil 1. I use royal purple and they say you can run it for 12k but i change at 6k. It`s cheap enough to change for me to wait that long.

bunchz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My personal opinion is that its too risky. I feel on older vehicles, especially high mileage vehicles, they may use a little oil. (Like 1 quart between changes) People that never change their oil will end up going 12K miles, or possibly longer without checking their oil and end up being 2 qts low. I would never go that long. I run Mobil 1 5W30 with one quart of Lucas Sythetic Blend in everything I own. I shoot for 5000 mile oil changes, it may go to 6000 from time to time. And even then at 6K, it is pretty broken down. I think the whole Annual oil change is ridiculuos. My 2 Cents

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't care what kind of oil you have in your motor or how long it supposedly will last- Contaminants (dirt, moisture, etc.) are still introduced through the intake and fuel system and the oil filter is only effective to a certain extent. Changing the oil gets these contaminants out so it needs to be changed even if the protective properties of the oil itself are still good.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw that oil in Walmart the other day..It was 40 bucks for a 5 quart jug.

I would not [like the all the others here already said] be comfortable using that oil..It would keep me awake at night.

Will keep doing what I am doing and change out every 5K miles using Mobil 1 AFE..If the Mobil 1 EP is on sale will get that but most times they are out of it.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A recent study (and shame on me for not citing it specifically) indicated that the single most effective and reliable action regarding oil maintenance is frequent changes. Not the type or weight of oil, but the frequency of oil changes.

RaiderRodney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been doing this for years using Amsoil Signature Series in my DSM. I started using the Penz Ultra Platinum in the Hoe when I picked it up last year and the first change since is this month. If you use a good quality filter with oil that is designed to last that long...I don't see a problem with it.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure the engineers figure that folks will still check their oil as a routine, it's just common sense anyways. I'm sure they figured out a formulation to protect the engine from the contaminants that are introduced over the course of a year as well; I have not read up on it.

As for me and my house, we run plain old Mobil 1, have been for thirty some years, and change it according to the computer's oil life monitor. In my racing days we would change it every 2000 miles, came out near clear but that was a waste of money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia