Thoughts on play in tie rods?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nick0789

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I’ve been dealing with an intermittent popping sound from the front end. I took it to a shop awhile back and they said everything was tight but now the popping is more prominent. Thinking that the part that may be causing the issue is going to be noticeable this go-around I jacked up the front and shook things around.
I think I already know the answer, but what are your opinions on the passenger side tie rods?

If a closer video is needed for either the inner or outer tie rod just let me know and I’ll take a quick video and reupload.

Thanks!

OP
OP
N

nick0789

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention in my original post that the popping sound is noticeable when turning into/out of parking spaces at low speeds.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replace it all and add in the pitman arm and idler arm.

OP
OP
N

nick0789

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replace it all and add in the pitman arm and idler arm.
I actually had the idler arm and pitman arm done ~ 3 years ago, and the pitman arm redone last year thanks to some crap Moog parts. The idler arm doesn’t show any slop, but my initial impression of the tie rods were that they needed to go.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When CVs start to go, there is a clicking sound, when going around corners. It is possible for a CV to deteriorate to the point where it generates a popping sound instead?

OP
OP
N

nick0789

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When CVs start to go, there is a clicking sound, when going around corners. It is possible for a CV to deteriorate to the point where it generates a popping sound instead?
CV joints are relatively new (4 years, 30k miles?) and I’ll get a single “pop” the moment I start to turn my wheel to the left after backing out of a parking space. My understanding is that when a CV starts to go, I’ll get a constant clicking sound. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

ball joints/control arms

I don’t see any play in the ball joints themselves when I pry up under the tire, both when the joints are loaded and unloaded. Does that steer me towards the control arm bushings instead?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what year? how many miles? what do the sway bar end link and D bushings look like?

OP
OP
N

nick0789

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what year? how many miles? what do the sway bar end link and D bushings look like?
I should have included all of that in my original post, sorry.

2005 Z71 Tahoe, ~186k miles bone stock.
End links were replaced when the CVs were replaced and still look new (Moog poly). D bushings were replaced this past week when I did my body mount replacement since they were just starting to wallow out and I figured it would be cheap insurance to just add it to my job list.
The lower halves of the two body mounts just behind the front wheels on both sides were toast so I was hoping that was my issue.

Edit: just went to move the tahoe out of the garage and did the steering wheel test. Turning from neutral to right stop, no issue. Turning left from the right stop was fine until I got back to about neutral, that’s when I heard some ticking followed two “pop pop”s. I’ll get a video

OP
OP
N

nick0789

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here’s the video. It was recorded just under the passenger control arms.

You’ll hear a lot of exhaust since the engine was running but you’ll hear the binding and popping when the tire gets close to neutral/straight.

It’s the classic “ball joint” pop but I’m obviously hoping it’s the tie rod joints. I’m not sure if I’ll be able to get a good look of the tie rods in a video since I’m doing it solo but I’ll give it a go, and record the ball joints while I’m at it