Think my engine just failed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
Highland Park, IL. Transplant from SLC, UT to redu
Possible engine failure on my Tahoe. Just turned over 95k miles today. This truck is turning out to be garbage. Worst part is I'm now stranded 1,100 miles from home in Laramie, WY. Will find out more tomorrow.

Irony is that there are no indicator lights such as a CEL or warning messages coming up on the DIC. Just had cruise control set at 80, went to climb the canyon between Laramie and Cheyenne. Shortly after transmission shifted down, a loud knocking started coming from the engine bay. I slowed down and pulled over as soon as I could, which happened to be at a rest area. I looked over the truck and didn't see anything wrong. No leaks. Fluids are good and full (oil change done saturday with a wix filter and Valvoline 5w30 max life oil). Belts are good. Nothing visually noticeable, except a low pressure reading for the oil, but I didn't check that thoroughly because I was afraid of the noise causing massive damage. Sound is coming from driver side of engine. I sure hope my engine didn't give out. Maybe bad gas? I did fill up in Laramie and got no further than 15 miles. Gas station was Conoco, which is a top tier fuel. I filled with 88 octane, which is mid grade. Did that because of a tune I have which is for mid grade. Noise is not consistent, like a valve or lifter, but does get louder with engine speed. While I was looking over the truck somebody walked by and said it sounded like a pulley could be failing, but couldn't see anything.

I had the truck towed to the Chevy dealer in Laramie and my wife, son, dog, and I are staying at the Holiday Inn down the road. Hopefully the bad news I get tomorrow isn't devastating.

Does anybody have any suggestions our ideas as to what it could be?

Last edited:

Regency

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe it could be the place who did the oil 5-6 years ago when we had our grand cherokee and we started smoking on the freeway and luckily had no damage so maybe it could be there fault btw the whole car was engulfed in thick gray smoke now we have free oil changes for life haha

OP
OP
D

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
Highland Park, IL. Transplant from SLC, UT to redu
Pump, as in oil pump?

When you say bearings, do you mean main bearings at crank?

Either way, either of those are telling me it's going to be expensive. If the pump failed, which is what I speculate, them I can see this being expensive head work. If it's the crank bearings, it's still going to be expensive. Either way, I'm not happy. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thank you for your input.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz