The infamous oil leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm back. I decided to take a picture or two of the general area as I'm starting to really wonder the cause of my leak. First, the leak is only on the back portion of the block/bell housing. No leaking from the oil pan in front of the housing. So either my leak is the oil pan at the rear OR the rear main seal. That's my conclusion thus far, but I've never removed the housing and don't know what more could be in there.

What has me puzzled is I noticed some oil also on a bolt that attaches the starter motor. See my attached photos. This higher oil leads me to believe the leak is higher than the oil pan--likely rear main seal.

Would appreciate your thoughts from these pics. Sorry my 2nd pic isn't in focus.Pick 1.JPGPick 2.JPG Pick 2.JPG

Last edited:

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
take that inspection cover off the tranny to engine, you can see if its wet up to the crank and leaking out of there.

id think its a oil pressure sensor leaking, or the back of a valve cover. its behind the intake manifold, see if its wet up there with oil.

Mr T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. Just got underneath with a bright flashlight and confirm it is NOT valve covers. Could see the underside of them from the below block view and I see no oil coming down. Oddly this is high enough to oil up the starter motor, so either the oil pressure sensor or rear main seal. I just can't see or feel back where the oil sensor is cause I don't' know were it is. Do I have to replace much of the intake to get to it?

Yukonjoe2001

Reaction score
I could do it quicker now I'm sure- I took a lot of care during disassembly and reassembly- everything got cleaned before it went back on and I put everything back EXACTLY like it came off. No broken clips or harnesses, nothing bent. Just like it was supposed to be. A production shop would have just hauled ass to get it done in book time and not care what they screwed up in the process.

I've got over 1,000 miles on the repair now (drove the truck to northern MI) and it is bone dry underneath so I can say with confidence the leak is no more. Too bad my freaking windshield washer froze and I've not been able to clean my windshield in days. Damn its cold up here! Going back south tomorrow! It should thaw out around Detroit I'm guessing....
It is damn cold up here. I live in oscoda mi,which is around 100 miles north of Saginaw. I can't wait for this weather up here to get warmer

Tkrysl

Reaction score
Excellent. I"ll reach back there tomorrow morning and see if I can both feel where it is and if there is oil on or below it.
Whelp? What's the update?

I don't always venture out into the sub-freezing darkness, but when I do, it is hunting season, and I carry a Remington. Stay hungry my friends.

LanceD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm having the same kind of leak on 07 escalade. Inside the bell housing looks dry. I ran my fingers around the base of the pressure sensor. It's dry. Looked with a flashlight with it running and it appears to be coming from the driver side exhaust manifold gasket. Thought it may be dripping from the valve cover so I changed those. Still leaks. Why and how could it come from the exhaust manifold? It doesn't smoke at all which would be valve seals. Any other ideas?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GCL24