TBI 350 Coolant drain plugs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Done Deal DR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
[previously posted this in the wrong section]

Hey guys,

I've got a quick [stupid] question here. I'm looking to drain my coolant while swapping my water pump, and I've got a Haynes manual which is generally good for completing these types of tasks easily but in this case it's lacking clarity and pictures. I like pictures. :hmm:

I've already drained everything out of the radiator, but can anyone show me where the drain plugs are located on the block? I still need to remove the rear 2 skidplates (which may be why I haven't yet been able to see the plugs yet), but if anyone can help it would be much appreciated. :Handshake:

This is on a '92 TBI.

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your not getting answers b/c you DID NOT READ and posted in the wrong section. Post in the appropiate section and fellwo members will gladly help you.

ff40

OP
OP
Done Deal DR

Done Deal DR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's helpful.

Maybe you should become a mod and move it to the correct place then? LOL

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree.

Did you get any help? Have you ever been under your truck? Crawl underneath, look for your tranny pan, no bolt means no drain plug.

If you desire a drain plug, get a junk yard tranny pan and tap it (thats so there is no down time and if you F it up your not shit outta luck) or get an aftermarket tranny pan where you can to get more quarts of oil to help with cooling issues.

ff40

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree.

Did you get any help? Have you ever been under your truck? Crawl underneath, look for your tranny pan, no bolt means no drain plug.

If you desire a drain plug, get a junk yard tranny pan and tap it (thats so there is no down time and if you F it up your not shit outta luck) or get an aftermarket tranny pan where you can to get more quarts of oil to help with cooling issues.

ff40

He's talking about a block drain plug, not a tranny drain plug.

There is a 1/4inch or so plug on the side of the block at the bottom if you want to drain the block. Most people leave it alone ...

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score

There is a 1/4inch or so plug on the side of the block at the bottom if you want to drain the block. Most people leave it alone ...

Oh Sh*t, I'm sorry missed that one. My truck has 119,000miles on it. I change coolant quite often becuase its cheap and easy (when doing it yourself). I had no idea about the block being need to be drained or can be drained.

OP
OP
Done Deal DR

Done Deal DR

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That is precisely what I was referring to, although the thought of me not being able to even change my own oil was funny. :)

Yes the Haynes manual says there is one on either side. I took my skidplates off after posting but was still unable to find them. For the time being I said 'F' it and just swapped the water pump and topped off the coolant as I couldn't find the drain plugs on the block. I saw a couple plugs that look like they could have been them but couldn't tell. One was near the oil filter and one was near the starter, but I tend to be hesitant to remove bolts from the engine block unless I'm reasonably sure. LOL

I can always go back and fully flush it later, and if worse comes to worse I could always just get it done professionally, though I dislike taking any of my vehicles anywhere if at all possible.

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
i couldnt tell you about a drain plug on the block, but i usually stick a garden hose in the radiator turn it and and run the truck for a while flushing everything out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn