Tahoe stalling out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jroyer87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my wife called me about her 2011 Tahoe Z71 5.3 with 125k miles. She was driving in a parking lot and when turning it stalled out and wouldn’t crank back up. Once she let it sit for a little while it would crank up. It happened several times. She thought she smelled a burning smell also. It has happened before and I have drove it all over with zero issues. Unfortunately I’m out of town and can’t have a look at it and kinda lost on what might cause this. The last time it happened it didn’t throw a engine light. It must be something electrical but I don’t know where to start so she put it in the shop. Anyone have any clues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

vettes980

Reaction score
It can be a few things, but if there are no codes expect something mechanical. Fuel pump, transmission/torque converter. Some will say that sensors can fail without codes, but I’ve honestly never seen it happen IRL.

To get it to restart, try to hold pedal down and hold key for extended crank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I personally don't agree with the assumption that it is something electrical. I think it very well could be fuel pump related. Depending on how it stalled. Info shared can be difficult. Typically a stall with a fuel pump is not a stall like shutting off a light switch. It typically stutters before stalling. If is electrical it also usually stays down but a fuel pump can restart after sitting. Again, all these assumptions are not 100%. Basic diagnostics are needed and report back. You always hate when you are gone and something happens with the wife's/girlfriend's vehicle.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my guess: primary suspect is the fuel pump, they can get hot and stop and then start again at will and have no codes, this is assuming there are no other issues other than stalling and starting. attach a fuel pressure gauge and drive it to rule it in or out. It could be electrical but checking the fuel pressure/fuel supply is easier to do first because you can see the gauge, so unless it is flat out shutting down with no power/lights/cluster movement, etc then you should still have fuel pressure

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k09viper

Latest posts