Tahoe shifting hard.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Green monster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it's been a while since I had to ask a question about my Tahoe but don't know whats going on with my truck tonight. I was on my way to work tonight and when to pass a car on the freeway, so I gave it gas and the Tahoe geared down really hard but was running fine. Once I got off the freeway the truck started shifting really hard but no slippage.
It feels like it shifts like my Camaro that has a shift kit.
Don't know whats going on, no check engine lite or vibration but feels like you're getting kicked in the head by a mule when it's shifting.:wtf2:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Green monster

Green monster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2000 Tahoe Z71 OBS, no tow/haul button.

---------- Post added at 12:48 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 11:11 PM ----------

Well it seems the problem is only when it's hot, I just went for a coffee run and the Hoe is driving normally again. Lets see what happens on the ride home in the morning.

OP
OP
Green monster

Green monster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Sunlit, I've been searching online all night about the issue. I'm hoping its just the TPS, I checked the fluid still looks good and doesn't smell burnt.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Well it is not so much burnt fluid that would indicate a valve body problem. If that was what you were getting at. It is usually found during a visual inpect when you tear it down.

OP
OP
Green monster

Green monster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well since this morning my Hoe seems to be back to normal. Got stuck in rush hour traffic, than beat on it a little and still no issues. I'm gonna have it scanned just to see if any codes come up and might just change the TPS sensor since they're pretty inexpensive. So is there anything to adjust with TPS install or is it just plug and play?

OP
OP
Green monster

Green monster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well changed the TPS sensor, I inspected the old one and didn't look bad. After I installed the new one I started playing with the old sensor. When I would spin sensor it felt like it was binding. hopefully that was the problem.
Well the truck drives good and doesn't idle ruff.

NJTaho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was having the same problem. One day my Lady was out with my truck and she hit the gas pretty hard because she was merging onto the highway and it shifted so hard it knocked the whole trans out of wack. It lost all forward power and she was able to coast into a safe place until I could come have it towed. When I checked it out it only had Reverse, it would not go forward in and drive gear. I had the Transmission rebuilt and they left the same Valve Body in it, they said it was "good."
Once I got the Truck back from them I took it on a long drive and after it gets hot it did the same thing. I finally got them to replace the valve body today and I drove it from NYC down to Central Jersey and now it's not shifting hard anymore.
If I have anymore problems with it, i'm buying a new updated valve body from the dealer. They wanted $300.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniordaboi909

Latest posts