Tahoe 2017 6L80 going reverse but hard to drive forward

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

buchery

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and discovered it while searching for car issue. I have zero knowledge in cars but trust that will get an answer here.

Beginning of this week my car started no to drive forward easily and I would have to press the pedal hard and hear the sound of the engine then it will start to move (what someone described to me that the car is not shifting the gear easily), however when I put on on reverse that car will move without hitting the pedal).

I took the car to a local workshop that tested (as they described) the electrical things related to the gear and that they had tested the oil level and pressure. They said that they are 75% sure that it is something related to the valve body and they need to take it out to examine the solenoids/valves to see if that what is making the problem. However, that check will cost around $400 and they are not sure if that is the problem and that they might to replace and re-program the valve body (for minimum of $2,600).

Having said that they said that this might also not be the issue and they might results into overhauling the transmission which they don't know the cost yet.

So would appreciate if someone can validate their claims and would guide towards the solution.

Thank you.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would agree with valve body. Reverse uses the 2nd gear clutch set I believe. If it has trouble in 1st, then that could be the issue. Have you tried putting it in M2 to start out? Not sure if these new ones let you do a second gear start or not, but it would be worth a try. If it moves well, then shift up though the gears and see how it reacts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilb