Swap differentials for off-road?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yukonoffroad27

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2001 GMC Yukon SLT, with a 5.3l, and selectable 4x4. I am trying to find out what axles it has (it's stock) and possible locker/differential swap options. It will be a daily driver and part time trail rig.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I have a 2001 GMC Yukon SLT, with a 5.3l, and selectable 4x4. I am trying to find out what axles it has (it's stock) and possible locker/differential swap options. It will be a daily driver and part time trail rig.

Look at the RPO sticker on the glove box. You probably have GT4 which is a 3.73. GU6 would be 3.42. Since you have 4wd and not AWD, also look for a G80 code. That's the locker.

OP
OP
yukonoffroad27

yukonoffroad27

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Okay thanks for the help! How would these be offroad with stock size tires? Also is there a known reason for it having a hard time coming out of 4-Low? I have to try to get it to disengage multiple times before it finally switches. It usually works if i put it in neutral and let it roll a little bit.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think your differential is like mine in that it is a posi and a locker, there's a post on the NNBS side of the forum about how it works.

OP
OP
yukonoffroad27

yukonoffroad27

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think your differential is like mine in that it is a posi and a locker, there's a post on the NNBS side of the forum about how it works.
I think it is, I got it in a ditch with one rear tire off the ground and put it in reverse, then I hit the gas and both rear tires spun, and it will do the same on gravel. Not quite sure how to tell if it's a locking differential or limited slip but it works pretty good .

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I think it is, I got it in a ditch with one rear tire off the ground and put it in reverse, then I hit the gas and both rear tires spun, and it will do the same on gravel. Not quite sure how to tell if it's a locking differential or limited slip but it works pretty good .

Locking and limited slip are the same thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
21 tots hoes Z71