Suspension Help...Very Newbie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ArleyC

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am very new with Tahoe mods so please excuse my ignorance and correct me if I say something incorrect. I've been looking at lifting my tahoe because I am giving it to my nephew and he wants it to look "cool". I have decided to go with the suspension lift because I've read that it is a little more stable and you don't have to modify the brake lines, etc...right? I have been back and forth on either the 4" or 6". I know people say go bigger but I will most likely be putting 33's underneath and I want the wheel well to look full. I have looked at the RCX for $1040 on ebay and the Pro Comp for $1495. I like the RCX because it says it is easy to install. Is it easier to install than the pro comp? Is the pro comp worth the extra money when the most offroad this tahoe will see is a dirt road? I'm also in a dilemma because these kits both come with shocks. I just spent $300 on shocks a couple months ago. Do they make any kits without the shocks and would my shocks even work if they did? I'm really sorry to ask so many questions. I just really hate to mess up his ride and waste money he has worked for.

99_2door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
get the 6" rcx kit. i learned from "bowtie" on here that the 4 and 6 kits are the same except in front you have to crank to get the full 6. in the rear i believe they include leafs to get the extra 2 in the back. i really only need 4" but i'm going to get their 6" so at some point if i need more it won't cost anything.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes go 6". not all but many kits only drop the differential 4-5" and then crank the torsion bars for the remaining lift. Now with that said some kits drop the diff even more allowing more lift. But a 6" kit is the best bang for the buck. Just do not crank the front up...keep the cvs laying close to flat, that gives a good ride and makes parts last.

As for the rear lift, lots of options here: blocks and AAL (add a leaf), new springs, or a shackle flip. A shackle flip is a good option for you, it yields about 4" if I am not mistaken and keeps a factory ride. The flip will also make the rear lift about the same as the front.

You may need to replace some brake lines in the front and rear if they are not quiet long enough. I am lifted 8" in front and 6" in therear and obviously needed new lines. go with a SS braided line...it is a goo upgrade regardless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trappnastyy