Sunroof leaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sinjin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 07 Tahoe LTZ and I noticed the other day while it was raining that the sunroof was leaking. It's not much of a leak. When I feel around the back edge of the sunroof where the seal is my fingers get wet. I took it to the dealer to get it checked out and they said it was normal. Now I'm no expert on these newer sunroofs. But I didn't think that any water was supposed to get in to the vehicle. I was wondering if anyone here has had the same issue.

note: the sunroof is closed when I see the water.

If anyone has any advise to offer I would appriciate it.

Thanks

Last edited:

Conor

"Bob's your Uncle"
Reaction score
I would take it to another dealer and ask to speak with the service manager. How in the fu*k would a leaking sunroof be normal. I have the exact same 07 LTZ and that would drive me crazy.

OP
OP
sinjin

sinjin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
yeah if it's getting in there is it getting in between the panels??? RUST???

That's what I'm wondering too.

---------- Post added at 08:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 PM ----------

I would take it to another dealer and ask to speak with the service manager. How in the fu*k would a leaking sunroof be normal. I have the exact same 07 LTZ and that would drive me crazy.

Exactly... I'll more than likely be taking it to another dealer.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Yeah go to another dealer, the one you went to is just lazy and plain stupid to call that normal!

OP
OP
sinjin

sinjin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah go to another dealer, the one you went to is just lazy and plain stupid to call that normal!

I agree. I'm gona call GM corp to see what they say about it too. I'm sure they would be glad to hear that one of the dealers isn't living up to GM standards, especially since dealers are getting closed down for less these days.

Harry Seaward

Reaction score
Wait...wait...wait... If I'm reading you right, it is normal. The sunroof leaks. The seal is not watertight. What does happen though is there's a metal trough around the sunroof that catches the drips, and channels them down out of the roof and dumps it on the ground. You shouldn't have any water on the headliner or interior though. I've seen aftermarket sunroofs with a large unsightly rubber gasket around them. That's because they don't have the runoff troughs in them so they have to make them watertight. The OEM sunroof isn't like that. Open the sunroof, and poke your head thru the opening. YOu'll see the troughs I'm talking about. BTW, I have a Mazda 3 which also drips in heavy rain.

Last edited:

wmgood64

BILL
Reaction score
What you sayin that something might be in the troughs directing the water into the vehicle????

OP
OP
sinjin

sinjin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wait...wait...wait... If I'm reading you right, it is normal. The sunroof leaks. The seal is not watertight. What does happen though is there's a metal trough around the sunroof that catches the drips, and channels them down out of the roof and dumps it on the ground. You shouldn't have any water on the headliner or interior though. I've seen aftermarket sunroofs with a large unsightly rubber gasket around them. That's because they don't have the runoff troughs in them so they have to make them watertight. The OEM sunroof isn't like that. Open the sunroof, and poke your head thru the opening. YOu'll see the troughs I'm talking about. BTW, I have a Mazda 3 which also drips in heavy rain.

The dealer told me it was normal. I was just trying to get a feel from the other guys on the forum to see if they have had the same happen with their sunroof. Personaly I don't think any type of sunroof should leak. As to the drip channels, I thought those were to catch any run off when opening the roof after it had rained. At any rate I'm just trying to see what other folks have to say about it. Thanks

---------- Post added at 04:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 PM ----------

What you sayin that something might be in the troughs directing the water into the vehicle????

Correct, if the trough is blocked the water will run off in to the vehicle. This isn't the case with mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fafafyfy