Suggestions for code scanner tech tool?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking for a basic code scanner for the newer GM vehicles. I have the 2019 Tahoe, son has a 2017 with the same drive train. Not looking for bi-directional operation or to reprogram anything, just pull codes, reset SES, see live monitoring inputs. I see several that look good, priced right, but start reading comments and most seem to be real trouble trying to get programmed (from China) for the vehicle. I have a couple AutoXray scanners for the OBD1 and OBD2 covering the years up to 2006 that do what I'm looking for our newer machines. Something similar to those maybe?

Rygrego

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would recommend either the BlueDriver at around $100 or the Topdon TopScan at $89. Both work off your smartphone. I have and use both. The BlueDriver has free updates and TopScan software is free for the first year and $50 a year afterwards. TopScan has more bidirectional capabilities. Both are the best for the money.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking for a basic code scanner for the newer GM vehicles. I have the 2019 Tahoe, son has a 2017 with the same drive train. Not looking for bi-directional operation or to reprogram anything, just pull codes, reset SES, see live monitoring inputs. I see several that look good, priced right, but start reading comments and most seem to be real trouble trying to get programmed (from China) for the vehicle. I have a couple AutoXray scanners for the OBD1 and OBD2 covering the years up to 2006 that do what I'm looking for our newer machines. Something similar to those maybe?
Really depends on your anticipated price range, you can get a pretty decent autel for sub $500.00
you might see some stating 1 year of updates included, that just means it will continue to work perfectly fine for all vehicles previous to the cut off date, so say you bought one today and last updated it in 2025 then it is good for all vehicles up to 2025, you would not need to update it again unless you came up on a 2026 and even then it may still have all the same software anyway

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
03yukonxldenali

Latest posts