stock sub

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

david98

Reaction score
I would like to know if I can put an aftermarket sub in the stock location? If I can do I need to get a shallow mount and a new amp?

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are talking about the rear driver cargo space, then yes. Fab up your own box, buy an MTX Thunderform box, loaded or unloaded, find a donor box from an 00-02 Tahoe and put a shallow mount sub in there with a monoblock amp if you want to dedicate power just to that sub or a multi channel amp to run your doors and that amp depending on your setup.

Kicker and Pioneer have been getting good reviews for that shallow box and space back there.

Here's a few pics.

MTX Thunderform from Crutchfield or Sonic Electronix

aclk-1.jpg

OEM subwoofer box.
aclk.jpg

How the OEM box looks installed.
images.jpg

search.jpg

gtrslngrchris

Reaction score
If you're talking about the Bose sub in the center console I would just give it power instead of replacing it. You would be VERY surprised at what it's capable of both for volume and general sound quality. I tried to blow one of my extras last year with over 1000w RMS and couldn't do it. I haven't started my build thread here yet but here is a link to how I modified the Bose system in my friends' '07 Classic 2500HD and I can confirm the wiring is identical in my '05 Tahoe LT as I just replicated it a week ago. If you're stuck on an aftermarket sub in the center console you can scroll up on that same build thread page and see my JL StealthBox with a 10w3v3 that I stuffed inside it.

If you have the Denali sub in the rear quarter then ignore all this :D

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're talking about the Bose sub in the center console I would just give it power instead of replacing it. You would be VERY surprised at what it's capable of both for volume and general sound quality. I tried to blow one of my extras last year with over 1000w RMS and couldn't do it. I haven't started my build thread here yet but here is a link to how I modified the Bose system in my friends' '07 Classic 2500HD and I can confirm the wiring is identical in my '05 Tahoe LT as I just replicated it a week ago. If you're stuck on an aftermarket sub in the center console you can scroll up on that same build thread page and see my JL StealthBox with a 10w3v3 that I stuffed inside it.

If you have the Denali sub in the rear quarter then ignore all this :D

Interesting. I may try something like that in my next rig thanks!

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have the JL Stealthbox under the center console up front. A bit pricey but very nice IMO. Retains the console up top but ditched that jump seat. We screwed the 2 cup holders back in.

I had mine delivered with light grey carpeting to match the interior and it is bolted down with the front seats so it cannot be stolen or seen and the sub is down firing.

I did this and will probably fit out the rear cargo area with a second sub in that OEM box so I do not have a free standing box taking up space or inviting the hard core window shoppers if they can see thru 5% over factory. Lol

Last edited:

gtrslngrchris

Reaction score
I also have the JL Stealthbox under the center console up front. A bit pricey but very nice IMO. Retains the console up top but ditched that jump seat. We screwed the 2 cup holders back in.

I had mine delivered with light grey carpeting to match the interior and it is bolted down with the front seats so it cannot be stolen or seen and the sub is down firing.

I did this and will probably fit out the rear cargo area with a second sub in that OEM box so I do not a free standing box taking up space or inviting the hard core window shoppers if they can see thru 5% over factory. Lol
Damn, I never thought of that. That's neat.

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are a couple pics of my JL Stealthbox installed (10W3v3-2 Subwoofer). I am pretty happy with the output. It will hit when it needs to. It cannot compete with some of the other setups on the TYF, but again I did not want a separate box, wanted to keep it OEM looking and not take up any extra usable space in the interior if it wasn't behind a panel or under the seat where my JL Audio XD700/5 Class D 5-Channel Amp is located.

Pricey yes, but nobody was ever going to sit in the middle of the front seat like I did in the older days straddling the transmission hump next to my dad. :)

IMG_2303.JPG

IMG_2304.JPG

IMG_2305.JPG

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Here are a couple pics of my JL Stealthbox installed (10W3v3-2 Subwoofer). I am pretty happy with the output. It will hit when it needs to. It cannot compete with some of the other setups on the TYF, but again I did not want a separate box, wanted to keep it OEM looking and not take up any extra usable space in the interior if it wasn't behind a panel or under the seat where my JL Audio XD700/5 Class D 5-Channel Amp is located.

Pricey yes, but nobody was ever going to sit in the middle of the front seat like I did in the older days straddling the transmission hump next to my dad. :)

View attachment 75208

View attachment 75209

View attachment 75210
Have you thought about hacking up a center console to make it connect across to the dash?

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you thought about hacking up a center console to make it connect across to the dash?

No I have not. I am actually partial to the open feel. Reminds me of our old family Chevys back in the day.

Even though it might be "wasted" space I prefer it that way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NSTBLFKR43