Stock 8" sub vs Aftermarket Setup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

AH64Medic

Supporting Member
Reaction score
While you can wire that polk to the factory amp, I wouldn't recommend it. the factory amp isnt going to put enough power to it IMO. You could however try it out first, if satisfied keep it. if not add a amp later on.

I agree with you on the moving the sub box around all of the time. I am in the process of building a center console to house mine. I realized I wasnt going to get enough bass from the stock location.

Do you know if the factory amp can be replaced with another amp so I don't have to find another place to mount it? Also did you run LOC to the factory sub wiring? I think that's how I ran mine right in front of the subwoofer plug. If that's not right/ideal where would you run it to keep the factory head unit for the time being?

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea the factory amp can be replaced. you just get a amp that can accept speaker level inputs, and wire it accordingly. I have a aftermarket double din. Also I didnt have a factory amp in mine. Yes a LOC would be correct for getting signal to the aftermarket amp. Do you know which amp you have currently on your 10s? are you wanting to reuse it or find a smaller amp that you can hide in the panel with the factory sub?

OP
OP
A

AH64Medic

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 2 amps to choose from. Both are RF and are about the same size. The newer one says RF 600w and the other is an older RF Punch amp. I added a picture of the bottom because I'm kind of confused about these 2 amps being about the same size and having such different power ratings. If I use one to power my sub could I use the other to power my door speakers? Hey and thanks for helping me out with this. As you can see not too many people have given me advice on it.

image hosting over 5mb

photo upload

image upload no limit

OP
OP
A

AH64Medic

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help Shawn. I pulled up some diagrams on how to do it and ordered some new wiring and connectors. I will post some updates when I get it all done. Thanks again.

RCB

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't think my 03' Denali has a factory sub. Could that be possible? The shape of the grill is molded in to the plastic but it is solid. It has the factory Bose system.

Blue2002Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you get to the factory sub? More specifically did you have to and how did you take this thing offImageUploadedByTapatalk1405558401.819464.jpg

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The little black knob unscrews like any bolt. Pull the upper pillar covers. Then the top and bottom door sills for the cargo area. Then you should be able to wiggle the drivers side cargo panel loose. You won't be able to remove it unless you also remove the drivers side rear seat belts and C pillars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667