stinger volt gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the big blue bus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im going to get a blue volt gauge. where would be the best place to hook the wires up to get the most accurate reading? im going to install it in the blank pieces on the dash by the radio. should look good

bassxlr8r

Reaction score
as long as you have a good ground and connections, any power source will give you an accurate reading of the truck's voltage and charging system. you can run the signal from the ignition switch if you want, or to your amps, or to the battery. if the voltmeter you buy has a calibration setting, ensure it is reading the correct voltage from where you grab it. measure the voltage with a multimeter at the source and confirm that the display reads the same, adjust as necessary until they match.

OP
OP
the big blue bus

the big blue bus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i want to run it when the keys in so i can monitor the batter when i have the radio on or when im using the work lights at night. so i can just tap it into any key hot wire and get an accurate reading?

bassxlr8r

Reaction score
most of the ones i have dealt with have had ground, constant, and switched power inputs. you could tie in a toggle switch if you want full control of the display regardless of key position, or use the switched input to an accessory circuit to shut it off with the key. you can get the power source from any high current circuit, just be sure to test actual voltage vs display readout voltage to confirm accuracy.

OP
OP
the big blue bus

the big blue bus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i found the stinger for 23 bucks. i like what you are saying, since my work lights are on a key hot it wouldnt be able to monitor them without putting the key in. i have a dvom so i can see the difference in the two readings. trying to think of the best place to get the reading from.. any idea? thanks for responding

bassxlr8r

Reaction score
if you grab constant (red or red/white) at the ignition switch, you will know the exact voltage available for cranking. these are usually on at least a 50a fuse direct from the battery, so this circuit would not have any chance of overload from your display (not that it will pull that much anyways, but just in case).

86mk7

Reaction score
If your running it for accesorys Id tab it into the radio harness. All connections should be right there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
myers9020