stereo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the big blue bus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
between the 35s and dumped cb extreme i need to give the stereo some love lol. my speakers suck and the tape players no too usefull lol. right now i want to just do headunit and door speakers. this summer ill add subs.

for head unit i was thinking this alpine http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/cde-123 i like because it has rear input as well so i can hide the cable. need to be able to use ipod thats main thing im looking for.

or this one for about half the price http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-Xplod-CDX-GT55UIW-Car-CD-Receiver/14956452?findingMethod=rr has what i need but only front input. kinda sucks but i could manage.

any other better suggestions for no more than 200 trying to keep price down. any reccomendations on some 6.5 speakers foer the doors as well? whats all this 2, 3 and 4 way stuff i read? im confused :emotions122:

98chubby

Reaction score
I just ordered a double din head unit from pioneer for 225.00 shipped its model AVH-P2300.

OP
OP
the big blue bus

the big blue bus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i think the alpine cde-123 is the radio ive decided. for speakers still trying to figure that out. when i change headunit how do i do it so i can still use the back door speakers without the small amp for it. i will get an amp for the door speakers later on if needed. just for now want to run headunit and 4 6.5" speakers in the doors with no problems. what kind should i get? i dont want to swap speakers in and have no bass at all without the subs and subs arent for another few months so trying to get half of it done right now and then just run the wires back to subs and amp later on when i have more money to spend on subs and an amp for it.

Jaycenk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most replacment speakers wont reproduce bass frez very well at all since the doors dont really create a good box structure for them. I did the same thing you are doing in many cars and trucks through the years and the way I used to do it is to install the head unit amp and sub all at the same time and then replace the door speakers and add an after market amp for them too or just get a 5ch when you do the sub. I usually just buy the parts one at a time and then install it all at once. That way if I change my mind it isn't too late to return something.

98blackbell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought that same head unit. I just installed last night, took 1 1/2 hrs looks good. I got it from Crutchfield because of the install kit and customer service. Good unit easy install. I also added the alpine kt455 amp for some kick to all 4 speakers. It gets loud quick, cant go over about 12 on the volume. Good sound not great.

I have the alpine 6" with seperate tweets for the doors(havent installed will this weekend). Also bought the 6x9 for rear roof. I have installed 1 so far. Have to do some custom work to fit because they bottomed on the roof. 3/4 inch home made spacer to get it away from the room

I am hoping with the 6" fronts and both 6x9's I get a little more volume as in deepness. I am afraid I am going to have to make a sub box for the passenger rear inner quarter panel. To get the lows I like. I did this in both my sons cars and ended up with subs in theres.

I am on my sons computer, I will post some pictures later.

OP
OP
the big blue bus

the big blue bus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the tip. so im good with my headunit choice? still not sure which 6.5 speakers to install. is an amp needed for them right now?

raptorforme93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would look around on craigslist for deals on speakers. I usually look for speakers from MB Quart, Hertz, Rockford Fosgate, JL Audio, Pioneer, Audison, or MTX. There are lots of others but thats what I can think of off the top of my head. I have Hertz components in my ride and I love them. I have easily saved well over $1000 on my system alone by looking for the right deals on craigslist.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kootamcgrabbin24