Steering wheel swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blue99tahoe24

bout that tahoe life
Reaction score
i wanna swap my steering wheel out with an aftermarket which adaptor kit do i need i dont like the one on my 1999 i think its the one hes looking for to

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
I remember who it was but he has not been on in quite a while. He was doing a 2001 wheel on an obs. I will try to contact him to chime in here.

oldsalt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. Been gone for a while..super busy..Sunlits PM got me back.

I was looking into this steering wheel business a bit ago. What I wanted to do was add a button to the wheel to turn on my driving lights. I wanted to use the stock '98 steering wheel.

Originally I was going to run the wire on the outside of the column like on a race car wheel but it got caught up in the gap on the trim. My solution to the problem was to replace the clockwork spring with one from a later model. The later model has the connector for the airbag as well as the connectors for the radio controls. I would use one of the radio control terminals for the driving lights.
I haven't gotten back to this mod but will one day.

If my memory is right '02 was the first year of the steering wheel controls. I think I was going to use an '02 clockspring because GM still was using the old style steering column and it would fit my '97. I never got the clockspring and put it in, so don't take that as gospel. This was all experimental and based on diagrams. However based on my research it was possible.

I did buy a brand new stock steering wheel for about $70 for this mod. I got it from
ALPHA AUTOMOTIVE INC.
http://stores.ebay.com/ALPHA-AUTOMOTIVE-INC

They were great to deal with and the wheel was new. I cringed when I punched a hole in it for the light button.

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ive looked and cant seem to find a new steering wheel i went to that link but still couldnt find it?:emotions122:

blue99tahoe24

bout that tahoe life
Reaction score
has anyone tried this steering wheel in our hoes with out all of the wiring just for a diffrent look? do u guys think it would work

---------- Post added at 01:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 PM ----------

well the pic didnt load up but from a 2002 trail blazer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fstrtd666