Steering feels...odd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoeatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for the past few days i've noticed that my steering in my truck feels real awkward and loose.
it doesnt really need a wheel alignment. i had one done about 20,000 miles ago.
tires are in decent shape.

but if find myself having to turn the wheel more and more to turn... i can have the wheel damn near turned at 4o'clock just turning into my drive way.
and today i noticed at very slow speeds (3-7mph) when making a left hand turn into my driveway i hear tire squeal as if im driving 60-70 trying to turn.

anyone have an idea of what it may be? my cousin was thinking tie rods but im not sure

MUDDER TRUCKER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the squeaking is the tires not pointing in the same direction, poss inward. check tie rods, when they did the alignment they could have missed tightining everything too.

OP
OP
T

Tahoeatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the alignment was so long ago.. this just started in the last few days...
how can i check to know if its the tie rods? just take it for a new alignment?

matt14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what i was always told to do when doing a alighnment, is to check tire pressure to make sure that they are all equal and are at the correct pressure. Also, you are to check for any worn componets for damage, i.e- tie rods, pitman arms, idler amrs, ball joints etc... All this stuff can affect the alighnment if they are bad. Some alignment guys just bust the alighnment out fast to get to the next one. You can have some bad tie rods or something else in the steering system that is causing the "wierd" steering. The best bet is to take it to a shop and have them inspect the front end for worn parts. If not, you can always go this route... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20poOCg64mA

The only thing i do different, is to do it with the wheel still on the car. Going from side to side is to check tie rods, and the other is to check wheel bearings. If either is felt to have play, replace them. Also if there is some play felt from side to side, make sure that the idler and pitman arm is ok as well.

JimmyB

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 98 Tahoe and have a smiliar issue with awkward steering.
You may notice it more in rain and snow.

I am curious if you found the solution.

I've gone to all sorts of mechnics and paid for alignments and ball joints.
Still the same issue.

I am thinking its my sensor in the steering wheel. Its a $23 part.
A fellow Yukon driver told me about this.

Let me know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigstu516