Steering box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danstowers82

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm looking to put a new steering box on my 99 4wd obs and GM no longer offers one. Any suggestions on an aftermarket brand???

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

laredo1307

Reaction score
Just go to rockauto and get you a new OEM one. They have the cheapest ones I found.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
a dealer should be able to get you a rebuilt one in addition to the said rock auto or amazon or local stores(no house brands or dorman junk). it is not critical for theses to be new but if you want a beefy unit get an agr unit.

Tbruz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you like the feel of your steering and if you still have the variable assist steering working(EVO and steering sensor on column are good) then stick with a stock unit from places already suggested.

If you want to firm up the steering feel go with a Redhead steering box and have them adjust the feel as you desire: light, light-medium, medium, medium-heavy etc etc.
I went with a medium and I like the feel better(personal choice) feels like I'm actually steering something!
Tbruz

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
Tbruz... what price range is the Red-Head steering gearbox? and what ratio options are available? I looked on their web site, but not a lot of detail is available. I'm guessing that they handle most, if not all, of the customizations over the phone.

I think I'd like to remove the EVO setup from my steering and go with a firm feel...thinking about purchasing an AGR quick steering box, but saw your reference to Red-Head.

I'm not a fan of the wandering, quirky steering which I'm currently experiencing. Just want to do it right the first time...

Tbruz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the RedHead was about $325.00 ish.
They were very helpful over the phone as I also had a PS pump problem at the same time with a rebuilt Cardone.

The feel is a PERSONAL preference issue and you need to investigate with a call to RedHead.
I was so disgusted with the light feel of the GM box that I initially started off with a ReadHead heavy feel box; once installed though, I did not like it.
ReadHead sent me out a medium feel at no charge.
For me, the medium feel(with no EVO) was the right choice.

As for your wandering/ quirky feel, try disabling your EVO by unplugging it at back of PS pump.
Once disconnected you'll have super light(fully assisted power steering at all times).

Tbruz

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019