Starter wont disengage!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChevyBoy89

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My starter wont disengage and the truck wont start unless i prime it, and im at a stand still. Although the starter will disengage when it is primed and started and when i "Backyard" test it from my battery charger while its out it also disengages.

I've tried everything but replacing the starter which i hope i dont have to do because i just baught it brand new in january. I made sure it was shimmed correctly. I replaced the ignition switch on the steering column because i know they go faulty.. no change. I hooked up a push button starter to eliminate the ignition switch completely.

I hooked up my test light on the spark plugs to check for fire the light would blink and stall and repeat every few seconds (to my knowledge it should blink constantly right?)...

I only need about 9 psi pressure from the tank and fuel is reaching the throttle body, i can see it spitting into the TB so i eliminated the fuel delivery.

I was told by someone to change the starter relay behind the glovebox...
To my knowledge i have a solenoid and not a relay and if im not mistaken the relays behind the glove box have something to do with the AC so i thought he knew nothing and was comparing me to ford.
Although i do hear a wierd clicking noise back there

I am out of ideas it just revs until the battery dies out or i disconnect the battery wire.

Any ideas??

inthechateau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need to know exactly what you are working on. Year body style, engine, etc. The more info the more help can be found.

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made sure it was shimmed correctly.

In all my years I've literally never seen a single instance where an SBC Chevy block needed the starter shimmed. If you have a shim on it I'm going to assume you are using the wrong bolts and more then likely hooked up the terminals wrong as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abruck