Starter doesnt click over, eventually starts every time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gilitin209

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all,

So this is my first post. I am trying to get rid of all my 2002 Tahoe's demons before I sell it to get a brand new Tahoe. I have read similar stories about my problem but have heard no real solutions. Maybe you guys can help.

At random times, but usually about 1x every week or two, I will get in my Tahoe and go to start it. When I turn the key, all the power and accessories come on, but the starter doesnt engage. I will then continually turn the key over and over, but the starter will never click. However, every time after about a minute or so of turning the key it starts up as if nothing was wrong. The gremlin then disappears for another week or so.

The problem has been ongoing for about 2 years now. It has never failed to start after a minute or so, but its incredibly annoying/embarrassing. I don't want to sell it to someone with this problem still ongoing.

I uploaded a video of the problem to youtube to show everyone. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOaUKuipJ6Q&feature=plcpLet me know if you have any questions. The video starts right after the initial attempt to start. Thanks everyone!

-Steve

OP
OP
G

Gilitin209

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I thought about that but have kind of dismissed it because this problem has existed for 2 years now and it has never failed. I have never needed a tow or anything. In addition, It has been so far between problem starts I figure a solenoid would have been happeneing more and more frequently. Instead, its been a very regular incident once every 7-14 days or so.

Also, it doesnt click when I turn the key. There is no sounds whatsoever. Then after a bunch of key turns it will start up as if nothing was ever wrong.

Last edited:

iwaslowr

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
Reaction score
Ok that makes sense. The ignition switch would be my next guess. Does it ever occur after a rain or car wash?

OP
OP
G

Gilitin209

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nope, I feel like it happens more when the vehicle has been driven recently, i.e. not a cold start, but really not positive on that. The ignition switch is another one that I have dismissed cause of the same reasons as the starter solenoid. I have had an ignition switch go bad in another vehicle and it was nothing like this.

iwaslowr

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
Reaction score
That's strange. On my 02 Silverado I experienced a similar issue but the problem was determined to be a blown fuse after hitting a deep pothole. Once the fuse was replaced the issue was resolved. If you can get a Tech 2 (or similar) hooked up when this failure occurs, that might get you a little closer to he root cause. I don't suppose an intermittent relay issue could be the culprit? :shrug:

OP
OP
G

Gilitin209

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thats the problem, I have taken it to the dealership but I can't get it to happen when its hooked up. I was just happy to get it on video. I had twice tried to film it but it started up right as I began filming.

And thanks for all your help btw, this problem has been impossible to diagnose.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be looking into the ignition switch, they can be haywire for years or they can just completely crap out at one time!! In cars that I've messed with in the past with an ignition switch problem, usually they were super worn out or even the switch part on the back was dirty or worn out!! I haven't had a reason to take my denali one apart to see how it's built, but I'd be looking there first! Just because it goes through it range of motion doesn't mean that it's ok!!

OP
OP
G

Gilitin209

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Alright, I will look into the ignition switch. Anyone have any good walkthroughs on how to tackle the project?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brittyboop0510