Squealing Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
While you are at it give it a once over on loose front end parts. They can exacerbate the issue.

---------- Post added at 11:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

I use power slot slotted rotors and hawk sd pads both of which have break-in procedures available.

jbuck07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome. I think im going to replace the rotors/pads and new drums /pads in the back. I eventually want to do a disk brake conversion on the back; but now is not the time. Too damn expensive. Sunlit, i must say that you give some pretty damn good advice on here, not just on this topic, but on other topics as well! Thanks buddy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jbuck07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thought I would reply to this even though it's been a while... I installed new power slot rotors and pads in the front, broke them in and it fixed the problem. I just need to do the rear brakes/ drums now because they started squealing not too long ago. Question: are y'all running balanced drums or no? I looked at mine and they had a piece of metal welded to them. Looked like a balance weight that's used to balance tires with. Kind of weird...

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
who else drives the vehicle i ask because my mother doesnt think so but she rides the breaks all the time and over time that would cause a squeal when light pressure was applied basically by leaving yer foot on the pedal applies the pads enough so it glazes over yer rotors then every time you barely put your foot on the break youd get a slight wine

jbuck07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm the only one that drives it. I tend to brake pretty hard sometimes; I don't really ride the bakes at all

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
yes drums will have some balance weight on them. they are not sold with no balancing. You think you are ******* the brakes, I micro cracked my power slot rotor in less then three months time. mind you they have been on since 2010.

jbuck07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, if I were to grind those balance weights off, that would probably cause some vibration when I get on the brakes? The only reason why I'm asking is because the ones I currently have on I did that to because my rims sit flush against the drum almost and that balance weight was in the way. Now, when I get on the brakes, the truck vibrates (not violently but you can here it and feel it a little). No to mention that my rear brakes are squealing...

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
well the weight is to balance the drum itself. that way when doing 70 down the freeway you vehicle does not feel like a giant vibrator. squealing drum brakes is more the quality of drum and linings or brake dust dust. do you fell this vibration in the steering wheel when you brake? or is it kinda of a continuous grab and let-go effect of the brakes?

jbuck07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel it somewhat in the steering wheel and since you mentioned it, there is a slight grab and go feel too. It did it really bad before I changed the front brakes and rotors. Now it seems to do it on a much lighter scale. Almost as if I really have to pay attention to notice it. It's that minuscule... I already know I need to change the whole rear brake set up. My only concern is with the weighted drums because of how flush my rims sit against the drum. That's why I had to grind off the weights on the drums now when I put on the new rims. I'm just not sure if that's the reason for the vibration...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amada