Spark Plugs - General Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tylus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just bought a 2005 Escalade with the 6.0 in it. Got a slight stumble/miss at idle...so I'm going to do a tune up. 66,000 miles

gap is 0.040 correct?

I bought some NGK plugs for it today. Always heard good things about them, but to be honest I'm a Ford guy and haven't played with a GM product in about 15yrs. Anything special to look out for with these motors?

Any particular brand they like better than others (odd question, but my V-10 loves Motorcraft and nothing else).

thx,
Ty

Big Buttons

The SS Burb
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should have gone with the ac delco's. Worth the money and last for around 100K

Phantomx55

Slow
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of people say .040, but it really should be .060 by oe standards.

I personally run NGK Tr6 plugs in my setup. I'd say the Ngk's are just as good as the ac delcos, if not better.

Other then having basically the biggest market of aftermarket parts, 300k+ miles, or 1000+ HP on stock internals, nothing really special to look out for with these engines..

Wake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't forget to pick up a set of new wires before you start the job or you might not be driving it afterward.

I learned that lesson a long time ago when I destroyed some baked on wires during a plug job and ended up walking to the store for a wire set afterward.

I changed my plugs out at 85K miles and they still looked fine, the wires though appeared to be hard/brittle and I destroyed two of them trying to get the boot off the plug.

OP
OP
Tylus

Tylus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thx guys. I wasn't sure about the NGK's being good or not. I could have grabbed the AC Delco's for $2.30 a plug...but I opted for the $4/plug NGK's with "double platinum" whatever that means. There was a upgraded AC Delco for $8/plug, but was starting to sound all super fancy. I'm used to dropping $8-9/plug for my Fords for the Motorcraft, so it was nice to have cheaper plugs

btw, I like to change plugs every 30-50,000 miles. it's cheap (relatively speaking), and I only drive about 5,000 miles a year. Wife does maybe 10,000 miles a year on her cars

thx for the comments guys. Hoping to be an active member on this forum the more I play with the Escalade. Not looking to hot rod this since it's the wifes car, but I do plan on a CAM, exhaust and some tuning.

OP
OP
Tylus

Tylus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that might be the case, but I don't blindly put plugs in without checking the gap. rough handling in the box can change the gap

OP
OP
Tylus

Tylus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there is a DIY tool guys came up with on the Ford forums for checking/setting that gap. The gap specified isn't correct when running superchargers. I've got it bookmarked somewhere from back when I put the RoushCharger on my F-150.

thx for the heads up about these. I haven't even opened the spark plug boxes yet. Plan on doing it this weekend

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman