Spare tire hoist modification

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kbkiller

Reaction score
Has anybody modified the spare tire hoist to fit a smaller bore wheel? I've searched and can't find any information on this or I just haven't searched the right phrases! I have an 04 yukon denali and just got some replica 22"s and the piece that actually holds the spare up is too big to go through the center of the wheel. Thanks for any info!

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can`t help with a modification but i decided not to hang a nice spare rim and tire under there because of the abuse it would take especially in the winter. So i went to a junkyard and bought a spare off of a truck that came with 20`s on it. Unless you live in a nice climate or plan on taking it down a lot to clean it you might consider going the same route.

OP
OP
Kbkiller

Kbkiller

Reaction score
I'm going to hang it face up so nothing damages it. It's also going to be in my regular rotation so it will get cleaned every couple of months but thanks for the response!

mals

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anybody modified the spare tire hoist to fit a smaller bore wheel? I've searched and can't find any information on this or I just haven't searched the right phrases! I have an 04 yukon denali and just got some replica 22"s and the piece that actually holds the spare up is too big to go through the center of the wheel. Thanks for any info!

This may be obvious to others, but I only mention it because I didn't know.

When I purchased a 20" Nissan Titan rim to use as a full sized spare with the same tire mounted to it that have on my four NNBS Yukon rims, I could not get the hanger through the bore. I almost gave up after struggling with it and a few choice words after paying for the rim, a matched tire and mounting and balancing it when I realized that the hanger on my '05 Denali has a button on the side and it breaks into two pieces to slip through the bore. It did not need to come apart to fit through the center of the OEM 16" steel spare.

Hopefully that is news to you as well and that gives you enough clearance to get it through your new full sized spare.

OP
OP
Kbkiller

Kbkiller

Reaction score
Ya even if you break it apart it's the ***** looking piece that's to big to go through the bore. My plan is to hammer and cut that piece until it fits, I was hoping someone did something a lot cleaner.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
21 tots hoes Z71

Latest posts