Spare removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mizzouguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fix-A-Flat won't fix a large puncture or slipped belt. I'd carry the spare. Once you get it off, replace with the dorman one without the safety latch.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced my tire hoist with one refurbished by a company on ebay (seller ID = tirehoist, name Chris). Very reasonably priced and it works perfect. After my original quit working, I drove around with the spare in the garage and did not like the ride, truck rode hard and wanted more weight back there.

We also carry an air compressor from the Hybrids, with the fix-a-flat stuff, a real can of fix-a-flat and a plug kit with plugs. We almost always wind up giving the can away to some stranded motorist. Also run Load Range C tires to prevent road hazards but still got a nail through the treads earlier this month!

The Dorman style does away with the secondary latch as do the latest tire hoist part numbers. Type in your VIN over at GMPartsDirect and you can see what replacement parts and the numbers you need for things like the hoist and tube.

OP
OP
K

KilluminatiDre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have roadside assistance through my insurance. As far as missing weight in the back. I think the 300+ pound sound system in back covers that lol

My second car doesn't have a spare and just the compressor and I haven't had an issue in 3 years. I will consider the replacement hoist though once I get this one off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts