Smell coolant on '19 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

h2100

Reaction score
Hey All!

It's warming up here in Michigan so, I again begin to notice that when the 5.3 heats up real well and my wife pulls it into the garage, I small coolant. It concerns me. I've had it checked at the dealership and they reported nothing. It has 70,000 miles and I think I've always smelled it. Bought it at 17,000 miles. I had two other 5.3's in the past and those did not smell.

Should I worry about internal motor issues??

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey All!

It's warming up here in Michigan so, I again begin to notice that when the 5.3 heats up real well and my wife pulls it into the garage, I small coolant. It concerns me. I've had it checked at the dealership and they reported nothing. It has 70,000 miles and I think I've always smelled it. Bought it at 17,000 miles. I had two other 5.3's in the past and those did not smell.

Should I worry about internal motor issues??
when it is cold and parked on a level surface take a marker pen and mark the level of the coolant in the reservoir.
it should stay at that level, so monitor it, if it drops below the mark "when cold on a level surface" then there is a leak somewhere.....
usually the radiator or heater hose t's. but I wouldn't bother looking until you know if the level is dropping or not.
The smell could maybe be something else as well so keep an eye on any other fluids also.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts