Should I Buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gseclipseaz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm new to the GMC scene 100%. I am about to trade in a 2017 mini cooper for a used 2011 GMC YUKON sle with 124k. I know it's 4wheen drive a a large V8. Not sure if the high mileage I should stay away from. Or if 13k is considered a lot for this SUV. Any thoughts or things I should look out for before purchasing? Screenshot_2023-08-06-17-41-20-34_824814bf6af97ff348751924da4995ab.jpg

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

I would ask for any paperwork from previous owner. I would want to have a tech inspect it top to bottom and front to back. If they say their tech inspected, too bad, you want your own tech to do that. Ask for a Car Fax. Stay away from any wrecks on Car Fax unless was a very minor wreck and if airbags did not deploy, may be just fine. Going from a small vehicle to this rig is a big difference. Do you need the bigger rig or is it just something you have wanted for a long time? Mileage is not bad but if has AFM, I would not buy it or would factor in disabling it after you purchase. IMO, I would look for a low mileage, GMT800 series from 2000 to 2006, especially the 2005 and 2006. Recommendations will vary a lot because of no vehicle info. Live in a salt on roads stae and have to deal with rust?

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
In this Gen of trucks 07-14, the 07-09 6.2L do not have AFM or cylinder deactivation. The problem with the AFM is past maintenance (oil changes) affects the motors 2-300k mile lifespan.

09-14 also run on e85. In CA that means fill ups are $85 vs $140 / $160 on our 09 6.2L. All Burbs, Tahoe & Yukon w/ 5.3L have AFM except the rare 08/09 Tahoe w/ the 6.2L and 07-09 Yukon Denali with the 6.2L. The 09 Denali & 6.2L Tahoe also run on e85, after that all 6.2L have AFM.

If you’re looking to make room for a bigger family hauler find a 07-09 Denali w/o AFM and the 6.2L that will get you to 300k miles. Almost all have F & R DVD screens, heated seats F & B, tough ez clean leather, separate F & R a/c & heat systems, power fold 2nd row captain or bench seats.

If your area has access to the e85, 09 Tahoe, Denali & Escalade w/o the AFM are the go to find and hunt down. In 09 they offered a 2WD version too. In our 3+ years of ownership our 09 AWD Esky has saved us almost $15k in fuel cost vs 91.

Owners keep these vehicles for longer than anticipated because they’re stout and reliable for this market segment. Be open to an 07-09 Esky if the price is right. You’ll get f/r cooled a/c seats. The 09 Denali had the option too.

Don’t get the first one you find. I mentioned the e85 because I know you’re fuel bill is going up 2.5x vs the Mini. e85 will offset a huge blow to your pocket book and run the engine cooler, cleaner and avoid carbon deposit related maintenance on the heads.

Happy Hunting!

Airman68

Reaction score
I have a 2008 Yukon XL with the 5.3. First thing I did was deactivate the AFM. So far so good. I agree, don't buy the first one and do a lot of research on this forum. There is a lot to like and some not so much. Your buying a used truck, dont expect to get off Scott free, you will need to do some work. Just depends on how much the last owner did.

I do like my rig, however, I personally like the pre-2007 trucks and SUV's simply because the engines are pretty much bulletproof (I've had about 6 of them). None of the AFM crap to worry about. Only reason I didnt get one is most of them are a rust pile up here in WI.

Airman68

Reaction score
One other thing, it might not hurt to wait a bit to buy, especially if you plan to buy from a dealer. Wholesale prices are coming down. I think there will be deals to be had once they start unloading the new cars with rebates. We might see a good influx of some nice used rigs.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be too scared of AFM as I've heard of regular lifters failing, even on a well maintained AFM engine. (the regular lifters failing and not the AFM lifters)
Of course I would still turn the AFM off after you get it.

The later years have the benefit of tranmission updates and valve cover pcv update.

124k seems low to me, mine was 203k and I didn't see any lower than 165k when I was shopping. (and that one sold before I could look at it..)

BlackBearPerf

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Lot's of good advice on here. It wouldn't hurt to keep looking and do more research. If you do decide on this one, as already mentioned, we would recommend disabling the AFM. On the 2007-2013 models, they can cause issues and we feel the AFM doesn't do much for mileage. The 2014+ models are better in regard to the AFM.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lot depends on your ability to fix things.. if you're a decent diy guy and have some spare cash, you'll be fine. if you're just budgeting for the truck only and if something goes wrong you gotta go to a mechanic for everything and get hit with big bills, it will be brutal.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of good advice here. On a vehicle with 100K+ miles the more documentation you can get the better. Like others have mentioned have your own independent inspection done to confirm condition even if it costs you a few hundred. The result will be a negotiating tool to reduce purchase price or disclose something that’ll help you dodge a bullet of buying a problematic SUV. IMO there’s no downside to either outcome.

Now I do have to ask since no one else has…

What’s motivating you to go from a Mini Cooper to a full size GMC Yukon SUV? What’s the reasoning or life changes driving you to needing to make that jump? That’s quite the change in type of vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NPKennny

Latest posts