Should I buy a '15 LTZ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rich16LTZ

Reaction score
You don’t always have to buy a nicer vehicle each time you do.

These vehicles are extremely cheap to own. Amongst the cheapest I’ve ever had.

Buying something used with cash is going to turn out to be a money pit. And the advice to own two cheap vehicles, that sounds like a maintanance nightmare. But I lean a different way, something new and reliable that isn’t going to require a butt ton of work and money all of the time sounds better to me. A car payment isn’t that big of a deal. Certainly not when you’re pulling $8k or not.

Some of you are so dramatic on here.

$6-8k/month and a $40k car isn’t going to break the bank. NOT EVEN CLOSE! Even if he had to go out and buy a $250k house tomorrow, this $40k suburban wouldn’t affect his budget terribly.

Exactly. The kid wants a Suburban - not a car and a truck, he can obviously afford it (but I'd go a year newer and shoot for 20k miles or less for sure). And since when is a 2-3 yr old Burb a "big headache"?

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Y

$6-8k/month and a $40k car isn’t going to break the bank. NOT EVEN CLOSE! Even if he had to go out and buy a $250k house tomorrow, this $40k suburban wouldn’t affect his budget terribly.

I would NEVER buy a car that cost 1/2 of my annual income but that would likely change if my parents bought me a house lol.

You don’t always have to buy a nicer vehicle each time you do.

These vehicles are extremely cheap to own. Amongst the cheapest I’ve ever had.

Totally agree. I've owned toyotas, audis, infinitis, subarus, mercedes, VW's and crappy old oldsmobiles...The GMC/CHEVY is by far the least expensive to maintain by a mile.

sickk23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would NEVER buy a car that cost 1/2 of my annual income
That’s an interesting take, and generally wise I’m sure. My burb is more than half my annual income but I still have money to blow and money to save. I think it helps that my wife makes significantly more than I do. I just don’t think OP would struggle with a $40-50k car. As long as he doesn’t quit his job or something haha it would be an obligation for sure. But nothing wrong with growing up either, as long as you’re sure you’re ready because it’s hard to go back.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s an interesting take, and generally wise I’m sure. My burb is more than half my annual income but I still have money to blow and money to save. I think it helps that my wife makes significantly more than I do. I just don’t think OP would struggle with a $40-50k car. As long as he doesn’t quit his job or something haha it would be an obligation for sure. But nothing wrong with growing up either, as long as you’re sure you’re ready because it’s hard to go back.

I think the conventional wisdom is that a car costs (monthly payment, insurance, gas) shouldn’t be >20% of your take home.

For someone taking home $6k a month that would be $500, all in, for car expenses. maximum.

2010WhiteHoe

Reaction score
I respect everyone's opinion, however I spend $200+ per tire that is not cheap to maintain.
You also got to expect the unexpected. Momma and Daddy will Not always be there, and why go 50k into debt so early?

Mr. WhiteHoe is 48 years of age. I might know a thing or two

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I respect everyone's opinion, however I spend $200+ per tire that is not cheap to maintain.
You also got to expect the unexpected. Momma and Daddy will Not always be there, and why go 50k into debt so early?

Mr. WhiteHoe is 48 years of age. I might know a thing or two

what does age have to do with it? at $100K/year he's probably making more than some folks here and his house is paid off and has no college loans.

$200/tire that has to be changed every 40,000 miles is pretty darn cheap comparatively speaking.

2010WhiteHoe

Reaction score
Mr. WhiteHoe is giving his 2 cents.
what does age have to do with it? at $100K/year he's probably making more than some folks here and his house is paid off and has no college loans.

$200/tire that has to be changed every 40,000 miles is pretty darn cheap comparatively speaking.
Age had everything to do with everything. You ever wonder what an 18 year old insurance is double of a 30 year old, What about legal drinking ages ever wonder? I got more examples if you need it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667