Shorter "bypass" belt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pedwar0728

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've got a 1992 GMC Yukon 2 door. Today the bearing on my ac compressor went out. I don't have the time to take it somewhere to get it replaced and I don't have an AC machine to do it myself. Does anyone know if there's a shorter belt I can get to bypass the AC compressor until I can get it fixed? Or does anyone know if I can just get a new bearing somewhere?

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try a U-Pullit/Rock Auto, and replace the gaskets/"O"rings and expansion oriface filter. Leave compressor unplugged until recharge time. Bypass belt a possible, but no-one chimed in with a size for you.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It would really help to supply some info. What are the components that the belt would travel on without the a/c compressor involved? Is there a spring loaded tensioner involved? How many ribs is the belt that would be replaced? Pic of it would help too. We are talking about a 30 year old vehicle and that is not something that any member can just walk out and pop the hood to see what is needed. Is there an air pump involved? C'mon man!

Most of the time there has been a substitute belt found for that but in order to know for sure, some of these questions need answered. Typically, if there is a tensioner involved, just use some string and route it around all components concerned and then subtract about 1" in length, maybe 1.25". and get that length and start from there. May want to get a belt a little longer and a little shorter and take back what is not used.

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a 1992 GMC Yukon 2 door. Today the bearing on my ac compressor went out. I don't have the time to take it somewhere to get it replaced and I don't have an AC machine to do it myself. Does anyone know if there's a shorter belt I can get to bypass the AC compressor until I can get it fixed? Or does anyone know if I can just get a new bearing somewhere?
Scrap yard near me has a complete compressor, I threw it away yesterday. Had good bearings just leaked like every one of them does. Any shop that does AC probably throws one away every week at least.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar