Shift kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badhoe2001

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It wouldnt be a bad idea, the factory ecm will after awhile adapt to the shift kit and adjust the line pressure to compensate.

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, there isnt a need for a tune after a shift kit, jeez yall give terrible advice here. And no the computer will not adapt and undo the effects of a shift kit, slap yourself for saying that sir.

Justin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, there isnt a need for a tune after a shift kit, jeez yall give terrible advice here. And no the computer will not adapt and undo the effects of a shift kit, slap yourself for saying that sir.

What WILL happen is the shifts will be inconsistent without tuning for the shift kit. The PCM WILL constantly adjust the pressure around the desired shift times, as the PCMs corrective pressure changes will be overstated. In most cases, the torque management being in place will be significantly more noticable than it is stock.

You are welcome to run a shift kit without a tune and have it be annoying to drive. Have at it.

Last edited:

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"annoying to drive" means nothing. We dont know what exactly you are saying. Changing pressures, so? From 80 to 90 whooptie doo, does that actually effect shift feel, or shift performance? A million minute changes in the computer and you feel NOTHING as a driver, so they arent all super critical. I've been tuning 4l60Es quite a while (though i do almost immediately remove TM) and their adaptive crap isn't even worth mentioning. The 6L80e on the other hand is a bugar and I dont care for it.

Justin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"annoying to drive" means nothing. We dont know what exactly you are saying. Changing pressures, so? From 80 to 90 whooptie doo, does that actually effect shift feel, or shift performance? A million minute changes in the computer and you feel NOTHING as a driver, so they arent all super critical. I've been tuning 4l60Es quite a while (though i do almost immediately remove TM) and their adaptive crap isn't even worth mentioning. The 6L80e on the other hand is a bugar and I dont care for it.

Your experience is apparent. You are right. The thousands of trucks owners with shift kits we've dealt with that experienced inconsistent shifts were wrong.

Carry on.

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shift kits been around since the beginning of time!!!

OP
OP
boomboom baker

boomboom baker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What WILL happen is the shifts will be inconsistent without tuning for the shift kit. The PCM WILL constantly adjust the pressure around the desired shift times, as the PCMs corrective pressure changes will be overstated. In most cases, the torque management being in place will be significantly more noticable than it is stock.

You are welcome to run a shift kit without a tune and have it be annoying to drive. Have at it.
Justin I have questions for you sir I got a 01 Tahoe and I swapped a 6.0 in it ok I used the 5.3 ECM in it had it tuned to run for the 6.0 well the 6.0 has a lot of miles on it this winter I going to rebuild the 6.0 this is the Thang I'm going to have it bored out to 7.0 liters can black bear tune my ECM to run the 7.0

BlackBearPerf

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Justin I have questions for you sir I got a 01 Tahoe and I swapped a 6.0 in it ok I used the 5.3 ECM in it had it tuned to run for the 6.0 well the 6.0 has a lot of miles on it this winter I going to rebuild the 6.0 this is the Thang I'm going to have it bored out to 7.0 liters can black bear tune my ECM to run the 7.0

Hello Michael, we can absolutely take care of that, please shoot us an email [email protected]. Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrLeritz