shes eating oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chezoom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to put a quart of oil in every 500 miles. Anything I can do to help this issue out or should I plan on a rebuild? 152K on big bertha. She does NOT leak a drop of oil anywhere tho.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe try an additive that claims to help with this. I do not have any first hand knowledge on these but someone might or a quick search on the web could yield some good results.

foxracer025

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lucas oil may help slow it down. It's the really thick stuff. I put it in my Honda and it helps slow the oil burn down...just a thought.

---------- Post added at 02:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 PM ----------

duruqaru.jpg

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pull your TB off and check inside the intake.
If most of your oil consumption is coming from PCV system, your intake will be wet if not saturated in oil.
If its just mildy oily as in you can run fingers across it and get some thick sticky oilly crap on fingers. than your loosing oil else where (internal engine problem).

What you want to do is find a PCV with a smaller diameter hole.
The goal is to reduce the vacuum and volume of air being pulled from the crankcase.
You can even go as simple as a male to male brass barb fitting and install it inline in the hose leading from PCV to TB.
This will restrict the PCV system and reduce oil consumption.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
if loosing that much oil when running and you have no leaks it must be burning it thru piston rings or valve seals. can't happen any other way at that rate.

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if the previous owner didn't maintain it very well, the oil drain back holes in the heads can get blocked causing the oil to pool up under the valve cover and run past the valve seals.

OP
OP
C

Chezoom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the responses. Ill try the lucas oil but like sunlit said, my bet was the piston rings too. Ill try the pvc thing too. Worst case is my december bonus check will go to a new motor for the old girl. Guess ill lift her next year. Lol.

foxracer025

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'd think cold starts it would have some blue smoke. Mine did before I had a new long block put in at 173k.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n