She floats on dry land

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It has G65 & ZW7
Have new springs on rear that slightly raised it and new keys in front that has the front level and height matches all around .
I’ll check the stops and control arm .

So... the Premium Smooth Ride springs are softer than stock. Those should be changed when the self-leveling shocks are replaced with non-leveling (standard type) shocks, and it sounds like you do have different springs. I would think that would be okay with your new rear shocks. I'd venture a guess that the front leveling took the pressure off the jounce stops and that will make things squirrely, or at least not so stable. That's a fulcrum point in the front suspension.

OP
OP
Bambalambo

Bambalambo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So... the Premium Smooth Ride springs are softer than stock. Those should be changed when the self-leveling shocks are replaced with non-leveling (standard type) shocks, and it sounds like you do have different springs. I would think that would be okay with your new rear shocks. I'd venture a guess that the front leveling took the pressure off the jounce stops and that will make things squirrely, or at least not so stable. That's a fulcrum point in the front suspension.
It is I’m guessing 75% better handling and got all the worn out bouncing fixed since this “handling” journey began .
For some reason I think a 10 or 12” and taller rim with a lower profile ( less sidewall) wider tire would have a positive effect , the tires are fairly new maybe 80% life left but bought from a kids Yukon he blew the motor in so may have been ******* the sidewall’s? But I’m still thinking there is a mechanical suspension prob and don’t want to throw another grand on my less sidewall theory until I’m sure .
Wish I would have gotten the Bambalambo before economy went in the toilet

OP
OP
Bambalambo

Bambalambo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
to me it looks like it is sitting kind of high, might need the torsion bars adjusted properly, what is on the rear end? is it stock height or does it look like the springs are higher, if the bump stops are not ever touching that's a clue. Normally these trucks handle pretty good, I have slalomed mine up and down mountains and corners all over the place at high speed no complaints. I did the whole front end of the wifes 05 pretty much like you did and also did the gear box and it tightened it right up it was pretty dodgy left or right before doing the work.
It does set a little higher with the new rear springs so added the new keys to level front . I just checked the front bump stops and both sides even but a 1/2” to 3/4” from contacting lower control arms.
Just took it to town a bit ago and it’s so smooth and drives straight on flat blacktop but hit a bump or hill and I keep hearing Jim Morrison ( keep your eyes on the road and hands up on the wheel!!) lol

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It does set a little higher with the new rear springs so added the new keys to level front . I just checked the front bump stops and both sides even but a 1/2” to 3/4” from contacting lower control arms.
Just took it to town a bit ago and it’s so smooth and drives straight on flat blacktop but hit a bump or hill and I keep hearing Jim Morrison ( keep your eyes on the road and hands up on the wheel!!) lol
sometimes that is just from lifting it up like that, the higher the torsion bar are set the more it's going to bounce around, you could ask whoever did the work if they could re adjust the torsion bars and see if that helps. Not sure if better sway bars would help with that or not

OP
OP
Bambalambo

Bambalambo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm going to guess the front level is the reason for the floating around and I think the zw7 uses the nivomat shocks if you changed the rear shocks then sadly there is nothing out there that will replace the nivomat I tried that once and had tossed the old shocks and was surprised to find out how much new replacements cost. rode like crap without the nivomats
Yes it had much bigger diameter shocks when we got it but they were all bad , went with recommended but returned them for the heavier duty ones and yes they get really pricey after that .

OP
OP
Bambalambo

Bambalambo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
sometimes that is just from lifting it up like that, the higher the torsion bar are set the more it's going to bounce around, you could ask whoever did the work if they could re adjust the torsion bars and see if that helps. Not sure if better sway bars would help with that or not
Update on the Bambalambo
Wife talked to the alignment Mech he asked to drive it again . One of the new keys on torsion bars was not set exactly same as other side . He adjusted it and it’s handling 90% better she barely creeps left at top of hills and is not diving to the right after crest of hill .still a tiny bit bouncy after decent bumps in the road . I know I need to upgrade the tires and still think lower profile ( less sidewall flex) would help and a steering dampener shock prob wouldn’t hurt ? As far as shocks go I’m not seeing the really good ones that are 1k plus each in my near future but I definitely think an upgrade there would be beneficial.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update on the Bambalambo
Wife talked to the alignment Mech he asked to drive it again . One of the new keys on torsion bars was not set exactly same as other side . He adjusted it and it’s handling 90% better she barely creeps left at top of hills and is not diving to the right after crest of hill .still a tiny bit bouncy after decent bumps in the road . I know I need to upgrade the tires and still think lower profile ( less sidewall flex) would help and a steering dampener shock prob wouldn’t hurt ? As far as shocks go I’m not seeing the really good ones that are 1k plus each in my near future but I definitely think an upgrade there would be beneficial.
There is a kind of dampener out there for the steering that I think is bolt on, you might have to do a little google shopping to find it or ask in the
gmt800 thread

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
There is a kind of dampener out there for the steering that I think is bolt on, you might have to do a little google shopping to find it or ask in the
gmt800 thread
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinf...Jesqu3bn1IOMeuJxrv1jt8g9BqB+u6YhI3fY4m/M/c5ta What i put on mine works unreal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia